Researchers find new side effects for drugs

Researchers from the Stanford School of Medicine recently created an algorithm that suggests that inadvertent impacts of drug use vastly exceed those detailed by seemingly exhaustive industry labeling.

The researchers were able to identify 1,332 drug side effects not currently listed on labels, while the algorithm — which sifts through millions of reports in order to discern “true” side-effects — suggests that the average drug prompts 329 adverse reactions, nearly five times the 69 currently listed.

The FDA maintains a database of approximately 4 million side effects — a list compiled through consultation with doctors and patients — but the process of establishing causation may often be complicated by the consumption of multiple drugs simultaneously and by variation in individual reactions.

One notable side effect uncovered by the algorithm is the adverse interaction between common blood pressure medications and antidepressants. The combination of the two drugs increases the risk of a heart condition, which can lead to irregular heartbeat and sudden death.

Even after the algorithm’s discoveries, however, follow-up research and clinical trials will be required before the FDA can adjust labeling and expand consumer awareness of adverse side effects.

— Marshall Watkins