Fadi Quran released, back home

Fadi Quran ‘10, a Palestinian-American Stanford alumnus arrested in Hebron, West Bank Friday, was released from Israeli custody Tuesday on a bail of 3,000 shekels. He is now home with his family, according to his sister Semma Qura’an, in a tweet to The Daily. Quran’s release came after he was refused bail during an initial trial on Monday.

According to Ilana Stein, deputy spokesperson for the Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Quran was arrested Friday by military security forces and was subsequently transported into the custody of Israeli police.

“Fadi Quran was arrested on the charge of obstructing a law enforcement officer, assault and resisting arrest,” Stein wrote in an email to The Daily two hours after news of Quran’s bail surfaced on Twitter early Tuesday morning. Stein also said that several of the protesters at Friday’s event were violent.

“Approximately 1,000 Palestinians gathered at a number of flash-points, hurled two Molotov cocktails, set fire to a tire and bombarded security forces with rocks,” Stein wrote.

Two Palestinian protesters who were also arrested with the Stanford alumnus have not received bail and will face a hearing on Thursday, Qura’an said.

An Israeli judge decided to grant Quran bail while the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) prosecutor continued to review video evidence of the case.

“The IDF prosecutor still insists that the video has been doctored and that they need to keep Fadi an extra couple of days until they analyze it thoroughly,” Qura’an wrote in a Facebook message to The Daily before her brother’s release. “The judge then said that there is no need to keep Fadi incarcerated if they wanted to further investigate the video and that he should be allowed out on bail until anything new surfaces.”

Stein stated that the protest in which Quran participated was illegal because it was not authorized by the military.

“Demonstrations in Judea and Samaria [the official Israeli designation for the region including Hebron] can take place once authorized by the military authorities,” Stein wrote. “In this specific case, no authorizations were requested and as such, the demonstration was not authorized.”

Assaf Sharon Ph.D.’09, who is currently in Israel, told Stanford students that Quran’s judicial process is not yet over.

“Just to clarify — Fadi was released from custody, but this does not mean that no charges will be pressed,” Sharon wrote in an email to the Stanford Students for Palestinian Equal Rights (SPER) mailing list. “The matter is officially still under investigation and they may decide to indict.”

The U.S. Consulate in Jerusalem confirmed knowledge of a U.S. citizen’s arrest on Friday and said they were providing “appropriate consular services”, however declined to comment further citing privacy laws. Spokespeople for the Israeli Defense Forces did not respond to The Daily’s request for comment.

ASSU and University response

ASSU representatives began drafting a resolution Sunday evening to call for Provost and Acting President John Etchemendy Ph.D. ‘82 to issue a public statement in support of fair legal treatment and the immediate release of Quran.

Etchemendy wrote to The Daily on Monday that his office does not intend to make a public announcement.

“We are looking into this situation through appropriate channels,” Etchemendy said. “We will not be making a public statement or signing petitions, which would not be appropriate.”

The status of the resolution remained unclear during the day Tuesday, leading up to the weekly ASSU Senate meeting, as senators awaited news from Quran’s trials.

“We might change the language of the resolution and discuss it and we might not because technically, he’s been released,” said Senator and SPER member Samar Alqatari ‘14.

The bill, authored by Alqatari and Senator Janani Ramachandran ‘14 and co-sponsored by Rafael Vasquez ‘12, originally called for the ASSU to express public support and concern for Quran during his legal process, for Etchemendy to issue a public statement to the media in support of Quran and for the Stanford community to continue to reach out to alumni in the region of Israel and Palestine, according to an email Ramachandran sent to the SPER mailing list prior to Tuesday’s ASSU Undergraduate Senate meeting.

The ASSU Undergraduate Senate debated Tuesday until past midnight a version of the bill expressing concern for Quran’s welfare and urging his release from Israeli custody, while also requesting a public statement to the same effect from Provost and Acting President John Etchemendy Ph.D. ‘82.

Following three hours of heated discussion addressing concerns about the bill’s factual basis and unifying impact on the University community, the measure — despite significant amendments — ultimately failed by one vote to garner the required two-thirds approval.

Marshall Watkins contributed to this report.

Kristian Davis Bailey signed a Students for Palestinian Equal Rights (SPER) petition this year calling for Stanford divestment from eight companies operating in Israeli settlements.

About Kristian Davis Bailey

Kristian Davis Bailey is a junior studying Comparative Studies in Race & Ethnicity. A full time journalist/writer and occasional student, he's served as an Opinion section editor, News writer and desk editor for The Daily, is a community liaison for Stanford STATIC, the campus' progressive blog and journal, and maintains his own website, 'With a K.' He's interested in how the press perpetuates systems of oppression and seeks to use journalism as a tool for dismantling such systems.
  • dan

I am glad he was released but now SPER is going to take credit for it. LOL!  He was released because the Israeli judicial system works not because of protests by spoiled kids 5000 miles away.  Truth is, arrest was never such a big deal, he did resist arrest, and then was released.  The irony is that the SPER minds are so made up that they cannot fathom it was they who were wrong.

• dan

Someone asked me yesterday if I was connected or in the know, which I am not.  However, it never seemed to me that Fadi was the kind of person Israel had any interest in, since (by reports) he was nonviolent, and not connected to terror, just got caught up in a violent protest with some unsavory people.

• dan

finally I think the Daily should have assigned a reporter and quoted Kristian who should not have filed the stories.  Yes it was a blatant conflict. 

• Anonymous

ASSU representatives should draft a resolution complimenting the judge’s decision and the fairness of the Israeli justice system in this example.  What is the chance of that happening?

• Anonymous

Much thanks to Stanford Daily readers, and Cornell Daily Sun readers, for signing petitions and making calls.

• Anonymous

ASSU needs to draft a resolution urging Stanford to immediately boycott all products from Israel.

Until then, Israel will hold thousands more prisoners exactly like Fadi Quran. One of those prisoners, a Palestinian woman named Hana Shalabi, has been on hunger strike for a long time. She is being held without any charges against her.

Now her elderly parents are on hunger strike too.

• Guest

WHY IS KRISTIAN DAVIS BAILEY STILL REPORTING ON THIS??????? 

SHE “signed a Students for Palestinian Equal Rights (SPER) petition this year calling for Stanford divestment from eight companies operating in Israeli settlements.”

THIS IS EDITORIALIZING

• http://pamolson.org/ Pamela Olson

“Stein stated that the protest in which Quran participated was illegal because it was not authorized by the military.”

LOL! And here’s the whole problem — the Israeli military controls every aspect of Palestinian life, in a frequently brutal, illegal, and/or arbitrary way, without granting them equal rights or citizenship. This is what they were protesting in the first place!

• http://pamolson.org/ Pamela Olson

My gosh, Dan, I understand how much you would like to believe that the Israeli army isn’t “interested in” harming or harassing nonviolent, innocent people. My advice: Get in the know so you’ll understand how wildly off base you are.

I lived in the West Bank for two and a half years, and the vast majority of the violence was perpetrated against Palestinians — mostly non-violent civilians — by the Israeli army. Israeli soldiers held me at gunpoint twice when I was just trying to get home in a taxi and injured me with a stun grenade when I was standing at the back of a non-violent protest taking notes.

Read up on the Stanford Prison Experiment. I’m afraid abuse by Israeli soldiers against unarmed innocents, followed by blatantly false reports, has become quite widespread and normalized when it comes to Palestinians.

• MAC

Boycotts and protests have damaged the Israeli opposition more than it has anyone else and “helped silence the peace camp in Israel”. The best way to contribute to peace is to try and work to understand both sides. Boycotts and such strengthen extremists by keeping people apart.

• Lizell

Why on earth is Kristian Bailey covering this story?  What respectable newspaper would allow an someone with so many open conflicts to cover a story directly related to these matters.  Not even my high school newspaper would think of such a thing.  This really lowers the Daily’s quality.

• Peace Lover

This is typical of Israeli sympathizers. You try to change the subject when you can’t think of a way to defend Israel’s violence against the Palestinians.

When was the last time that the Daily broke a story that was later covered in The Atlantic, Foreign Policy, Al Jazeera, and Al Arabiya? 

Sorry to upset you, but this is what real journalism looks like. Congrats to Kristian Bailey and the whole Daily staff for their bravery in covering this story.

• Guest

You trolls are still here?

• Guest

“just got caught up in a violent protest with some unsavory people” … you make it sound like Fadi was just happening by.  He was there, quite intentionally, to his credit.  The only unsavory people in this situation are those with the guns pointed at the Palestinians.

• Wilfried Bose

To be the fountainhead for demagogic headlines at Al Jazeera … ah yes. Good to hear you believe the hopes and dreams of Al Qaeda’s leadership and The Daily’s editorial board are one in the same.

You know, it’s times like these that I think we’ll be alright.

• Yisrael Medad

Sorry, but unclear: he was protesting what – Syrian treatment of its civilians? Arrest by Egypt of American civic society workers? Saudi Arabian death penalties?  Gaza/Hamas death penalties?

• Hushedsilence

The amount of  bail set reflects the fact that they don’t see him as a desperate prisoner.

• Masaru Oka

“SHE” is actually male. not sure why you feel so strongly that he is not.

• Peace Lover

Nice try, Wilfried. Al Jazeera is not connected Al Queda in any way. If it were, don’t you think the United States would have bombed the shit out of it by now?

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has even praised Al Jazeera for its coverage of the 2011 Arab protests, calling it “real news”. She testified at a Senate hearing that “Al Jazeera has been the leader in that they are literally changing people’s minds and attitudes. And like it or hate it, it is really effective.” She also stated “in fact viewership of Al Jazeera is going up in the United States because it’s real news. You may not agree with it, but you feel like you’re getting real news around the clock instead of a million commercials”.

Take your fear mongering somewhere else, Wilfried. None of us are fooled by it.

• Hushedsilence

Pamela Olson you lived in the west bank during the period of the Intifadas when suicide bombers were blowing school-children up as rapidly as they could gain access to them.  Extra vigilance was necessary and I’m surprised that as a person of good faith you do not mention this

• Yisrael Medad

Let’s get the historical facts correct.
    (a) since 1920, followed by 1921, 1929, 1933, 1936-39 and onwards, Arabs of the territory the League of Nations decided (aka legal by international law) was to become the Jewish national home and purposefully refused to recognize the local Arab population has having anything by civil and religious personal rights) have been killing, murdering, raping, pillaging Jewish civilians and destroying their property as the expression nof their self-claimed “Palestinianism” – even though until the early 1920s they had considered themselves as Southern Syrians and demanded to be united into a Greater Syria (lucky that hasn’t happened for otherwise they would be dead in a Basher Assad bombardment if not one previously by his father).
    (b) during the Second Intifada [yes, Paula there was a First Intifada if my history lesson in (a) is too 'heavy' for you], the majority of those killed and injured by aggressive, irrational and maniacal terror were Jews.  Arabs were also victims to terror – terror perpetrated by Arabs in their Fatah-Hamas-Islamic Jihad internecine warfare (remember Hamasniks pushing Fatahniks off the roofs of Gaza?). Incidentally, the Mufti during the Mandate terror period also has some 2000 of his Nashashibi opponents killed.  What a cultured society.
    (c) Arab violence is so widespread that it has caused the Israeli Army to defend Jews – and tourists and journalists and others.  In doing so, not everything is perfect.  But if Hezbollah and Iran have their way, it will be much worse.

• http://www.facebook.com/RHabibiLodien1989 R Habibi Lodien

The Quran is the most important book of the world and it
    deals with the every aspects of life. The Quran is sending many centuries ago
    by ALLAH and in it ALLAH has told us that it is a perfect guider for all human
    for a successful life. Quran plays a vital role in the other aspects of life
    like in science, economic, social, innovation, progress but just there is need
    of Teaching Quran then all the aspects should be in your hand it is easy for
    you to learn, to act, and to teach. If you do not do this within this period,
    you have let an opportunity pass you by that will never show itself again.

One of the responsibilities of the Muslims in their lives is
    to communicate the message of ALLAH, in simple words to tell all people of the
    existence of Allah invite them to the true religion, also tell them what is
    right and what is wrong.

Learn Quran

• Henry

how does a system work if it arrests innocent citizens?

• AmericanLiberal

But he’s not a Syrian-American. He’s not an Egyptian-American. He’s not a Saudi Arabian-American. He is a Palestinian-American and a Gandhi-style nonviolent peace protester with no connection to any terrorist groups, who was arrested on false charges. He was protesting the treatment of Palestinians by the Israeli “Defense” Force and the second class citizenship of Israeli Arabs. 

• TrueAmericanLiberal

That was back then. This is now.

Advertisment ad adsense adlogger