Editorial: Envisioning a block quarter

Opinion by Editorial Board

One of the most exciting ideas proposed in the recent Study of Undergraduate Education at Stanford University (SUES) Report was the concept of a block quarter. As outlined in the report, a block quarter would give students the option to take three three-week classes in a quarter instead of the conventional 10-week quarter. This structure draws upon the success of Sophomore College and other in-depth September Studies programs in an attempt to allow for focused learning on a single subject. The block quarter would not usurp the current quarter system, but would instead be an option for students during one or more quarters of their Stanford careers.

The block quarter offers several advantages. The complaint, “I really like the class, I just wish I had more time to focus on it,” is all too commonly heard at Stanford. The block quarter would allow for total focus on one subject, and would also facilitate closer peer networks among students taking the same course. A block quarter would also spread the wealth of opportunities available through September Studies to the remainder of the school year. Because so many programs occur in September-among them Sophomore College, Arts Intensive, Stanford Pre-Orientation Trips (SPOT) and residential staff training – some students must make difficult decisions about which opportunity to pursue. A block quarter could help mitigate this problem.

Several intellectually exciting possibilities could emerge from a block quarter.  One is the potential for interdepartmental partnership. A quarter devoted to Latin American liberation theology, for example, could be taught by professors from the history, political science and religious studies departments, each offering his or her own unique perspective for three weeks. Students would have the chance to work more closely with professors, exploring different departments and gaining faculty mentors in the process. A block quarter would also allow for more opportunities for off-campus learning, including more opportunities for local partnerships and studying abroad. Experiential learning, in the form of field trips, simulations and hands-on projects, would be a core part of the curricula. The Board believes that by giving students space to breathe and time to focus, the overall quality of undergraduate education at Stanford would improve.

This is a profound vision for institutional change at Stanford, but there are several challenges that must be resolved before the on-paper idea of a block quarter can be translated into practice. The primary drawback is access-what happens, for example, if a student falls ill for a prolonged period of time? A block quarter is certainly less forgiving than a traditional quarter structure. The Board believes that the culture of a block quarter, which promotes close interaction between students and faculty, could help resolve this problem by allowing for greater understanding and communication in the event of illness. Stanford could also take lessons from Colorado College, which uses a block system exclusively, in devising equitable and fair policies for illness, injury, and absence.

Another possible drawback is that not all courses could be adapted to a block quarter system-students in certain fields, for example, might not be as well-served by the model. A further challenge is galvanizing the faculty and administrative support necessary to pilot a block quarter option. Logistically, several hurdles must be overcome, primarily with respect to scheduling the block quarter. Should the option be available to everyone, or just upperclassmen? Would investing in a block quarter option be detrimental to the traditional quarter structure?

With that in mind, while maintaining the status quo is more expedient, the incredible possibilities of a block quarter-close student-faculty interaction, stronger peer networks, experiential learning and intense focus-are too exciting to leave unexplored. The Board envisions a future in which the block quarter option is a key part of undergraduate education, and encourages students, faculty and administrators to come together to make the block quarter a reality.