RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Volleyball: Tigers no match in season opener

It didn’t take long for the No. 4 men’s volleyball team to get on track in its season-opening match against the University of the Pacific. After battling back and forth throughout the first set, a pair of kills by sophomore Steven Irvin gave Stanford some breathing room over the No. 15 Tigers and the Cardinal didn’t look back — UOP didn’t breech the 20-point mark again as Stanford picked up a 3-0 road sweep on Wednesday night.

The Cardinal (1-0) came into the match with some momentum from two wins over visiting Thompson Rivers of Canada over the weekend, but those came in exhibition matches, and Pacific posed much bigger problems with All-MPSF selection Taylor Hughes.

The Stanford men's volleyball team let the University of Pacific get close in the first set on Wednesday, then blew away the Tigers in the last two sets. (JIN ZHU/The Stanford Daily)

In the first set, Hughes looked like he might prove to be a problem for the Cardinal defense, notching four kills and a block. But the Tigers’ offense went ice cold in the second set, finishing with just nine kills on 27 swings with four attack errors — a .185 hitting percentage.

Conversely, Stanford’s attack really started to press the net in the second frame. After hitting .265 in the first set, the Card hit .367 in set two, as sophomore outside hitter Brian Cook turned in one of the best performances of his young career. The Santa Cruz native had 13 kills on the night and just two attack errors, a .478 hitting percentage to go with his two service aces.

And after pounding Thompson Rivers’ defense for 15 kills in the last exhibition match, sophomore opposite Steven Irvin expanded on what has been a solid offseason with eight kills.

With senior outside hitter Brad Lawson — a two-time American Volleyball Coaches Association First Team All-American — chipping in 11 kills, and senior libero Erik Shoji — himself a three-time First Team All-American with a chance to become the Cardinal’s first ever four-time All-American — recording 12 digs, the rout was on.

Stanford jumped out to a 10-4 lead and didn’t look back, finishing off the set with a kill by sophomore Denny Falls.

A run of three straight points to open up the third set allowed the Cardinal to work through its offense without too many problems. Senior setter Evan Barry spread the ball around, finishing with 36 assists, as Stanford pushed its lead to 20-12 late in the third.

Although a late three-point run by the Tigers reenergized the scattering of fans watching the match at the Alex G. Spanos Center, a timeout by Stanford coach John Kosty settled the Cardinal, and a Cook kill ended the night with 25-19 set.

With four returners from last year’s team that finished No. 7 in the final national poll, Stanford has one of the more experienced teams in the country. But Kosty chose not to go to the bench much against Pacific, as only two players saw action outside of the six starters.

When the team returns to action against visiting Juniata at Maples Pavilion on Friday night, expect to see more substitutions as the Cardinal looks to open its offense up against the perennial Division III title contenders.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger