Stanford sailing comes up just short at Rose Bowl Regatta

Despite a strong showing on the final day, Stanford’s sailing team finished in second place at the Rose Bowl Regatta over the weekend, ending the two-day event 11 points behind Navy.

Just seven points separated the second- and fifth-place finishers, and the Cardinal was hard-pressed to hold onto its position as St. Mary’s College of Maryland ended the regatta only five points behind Stanford, which dug itself an early hole against the Midshipmen on day one.

The Cardinal was four points down after day one and could not come back in the final day of racing, ending the seven total races with 72 combined points—Navy finished with 61.

St. Mary’s, Georgetown and the College of Charleston closed out the top five, and Stanford’s “A” Division team of Kieran Chung-Wolf and Yuri Namikawa finished with 29 points, second in the division after placing between sixth and ninth over the three races on Sunday. They finished in the top nine in all seven races.

The “B” Division team of Sally Mace and Haley Kirk finished with 43 points, fifth-best in the division after finishing from first to 11th through the five second-day races.

The Cardinal will return to the water on Feb. 11, when it will host the first of two regional regattas at Redwood Shores.

– Miles Bennett-Smith

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.