RT @stanfordmswim: David Nolan steps onto the blocks. Goes 1:39.38 in the 200 IM. Fastest ever. NCAA title. Drops mic.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @RuleofTree: Quarterback KJ Costello commits to Stanford. 4-star rated as the 33rd best player in the country: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @treeSIDjorge: Stanford's home tilt with Vanderbilt in 2024 will mark the first ever visit to Stanford Stadium by an SEC program: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford announces football series with Vanderbilt (2021/4/5/7) and TCU (2024/7).: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @MikeReiss: Bill Belichick said RB Tyler Gaffney, who spent last year on IR, was at the facility every day. "Excited to work with Tyler …: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

BRIEF: Field hockey earns at-large bid for NCAA Tournament

Despite suffering a heartbreaking 1-0 loss at the hands of California in the NorPac Championship on Saturday, the women’s field hockey team is back in the NCAA Tournament for the fourth time in five years. The Card will kick off first round play with a game against Duke this weekend.

Stanford (17-3, 6-0 NorPac) will be the tournament’s No. 7 seed and was selected as an at-large team for the first time in school history after one of its more impressive regular seasons. The Cardinal was one of seven teams with no more than three losses, tied the school record with 17 total victories and finished the year at No. 7 in the RPI, a critical factor for the NCAA Tournament selection committee.

But in order for the Cardinal to win its first game in tournament competition–Stanford is currently 0-10 all-time in the postseason–it will have to get by a tough Blue Devils squad that narrowly lost in the ACC Championship.

While game times have yet to be determined, the teams will play in Norfolk, Va. with No. 2 seed Old Dominion serving as the regional host.

–Miles Bennett-Smith

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park or to jwallach 'at' stanford.edu to reach Jordan Wallach, keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.