79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

BRIEF: Field hockey earns at-large bid for NCAA Tournament

Despite suffering a heartbreaking 1-0 loss at the hands of California in the NorPac Championship on Saturday, the women’s field hockey team is back in the NCAA Tournament for the fourth time in five years. The Card will kick off first round play with a game against Duke this weekend.

Stanford (17-3, 6-0 NorPac) will be the tournament’s No. 7 seed and was selected as an at-large team for the first time in school history after one of its more impressive regular seasons. The Cardinal was one of seven teams with no more than three losses, tied the school record with 17 total victories and finished the year at No. 7 in the RPI, a critical factor for the NCAA Tournament selection committee.

But in order for the Cardinal to win its first game in tournament competition–Stanford is currently 0-10 all-time in the postseason–it will have to get by a tough Blue Devils squad that narrowly lost in the ACC Championship.

While game times have yet to be determined, the teams will play in Norfolk, Va. with No. 2 seed Old Dominion serving as the regional host.

–Miles Bennett-Smith

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to awesthem 'at' stanford.edu to reach Ashley Westhem, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.