RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @TyGaff: Sincere appreciation to @Panthers nation for the support and love. I couldn't have asked for anything more given my injury. Tha…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Tyler Gaffney's path: minor-league baseball->1,700-yard 2013->NFL Draft->season-ending injury->waiver wire pickup while hurt. All in 2 yrs.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @AdamSchefter: Patriots claimed former Panthers rookie RB Tyler Gaffney on waivers today after Carolina tried to sneak him through waive…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

BRIEF: Field hockey earns at-large bid for NCAA Tournament

Despite suffering a heartbreaking 1-0 loss at the hands of California in the NorPac Championship on Saturday, the women’s field hockey team is back in the NCAA Tournament for the fourth time in five years. The Card will kick off first round play with a game against Duke this weekend.

Stanford (17-3, 6-0 NorPac) will be the tournament’s No. 7 seed and was selected as an at-large team for the first time in school history after one of its more impressive regular seasons. The Cardinal was one of seven teams with no more than three losses, tied the school record with 17 total victories and finished the year at No. 7 in the RPI, a critical factor for the NCAA Tournament selection committee.

But in order for the Cardinal to win its first game in tournament competition–Stanford is currently 0-10 all-time in the postseason–it will have to get by a tough Blue Devils squad that narrowly lost in the ACC Championship.

While game times have yet to be determined, the teams will play in Norfolk, Va. with No. 2 seed Old Dominion serving as the regional host.

–Miles Bennett-Smith

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.