Get ready RT @dohyoungpark: If S. Carolina loses today, @StanfordFB will have longest active home win streak in the country (16) #TAMUvsSC: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Big day for Stanford athletes -- @Gibbsyyyy wins again at the US Open, @Chiney321 is WNBA ROY, and @JmoSmooth13 named to USMNT roster: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @GrantWahl: As a rare college player selected for the US senior men's team, Stanford's Jordan Morris will not be paid by US Soccer like …: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @wilnerhotline: Comcast agrees to make @Pac12Networks available thru Pac12Now app, in addition to Xfinity. Goes live today at 1 p.m.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

BRIEF: Field hockey earns at-large bid for NCAA Tournament

Despite suffering a heartbreaking 1-0 loss at the hands of California in the NorPac Championship on Saturday, the women’s field hockey team is back in the NCAA Tournament for the fourth time in five years. The Card will kick off first round play with a game against Duke this weekend.

Stanford (17-3, 6-0 NorPac) will be the tournament’s No. 7 seed and was selected as an at-large team for the first time in school history after one of its more impressive regular seasons. The Cardinal was one of seven teams with no more than three losses, tied the school record with 17 total victories and finished the year at No. 7 in the RPI, a critical factor for the NCAA Tournament selection committee.

But in order for the Cardinal to win its first game in tournament competition–Stanford is currently 0-10 all-time in the postseason–it will have to get by a tough Blue Devils squad that narrowly lost in the ACC Championship.

While game times have yet to be determined, the teams will play in Norfolk, Va. with No. 2 seed Old Dominion serving as the regional host.

–Miles Bennett-Smith

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.