Shaw: No-call on Owusu hit was "questionable": 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
In the span of 25 seconds, Stanford scores 13 points to win the game. Cardinal escape a tough one in the Rose Bowl, 22-13.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
It's Hail Mary time in Pasadena.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Ten seconds left, UCLA needs 25 yards for a field goal attempt.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford leads 16-13, UCLA has 24 seconds to break their eight game losing streak to the Cardinal.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Arcega-Whiteside had no catches before this game. Huge day is an understatement.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
First and goal Stanford with 29 seconds remaining. Let's see which team wants it more.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Another catch for Arcega-Whiteside, who is now Stanford's second leading reciver: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Trenton Irwin has 20 more yards than the rest of Stanford combined.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford gets the stop. Cardinal have 2:05, no timeouts, need a touchdown.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports

W. Volleyball: Stanford makes statement in straight-set victory

A straight-set Cardinal victory over the No. 2 Washington Huskies in a clash of volleyball titans Saturday night at Maples Pavilion sent shockwaves through the Pac-12 and the entire country, but no one learned more than No. 7 Stanford coach John Dunning and his players.

“The message we send is really to ourselves: we have a good team this year. The possibilities are limitless,” Dunning said.

Carly Wopat (number 2) hits over the net for the Cardinal in a 3-0 victory over Washington (NICK SALAZAR/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford (14-3, 8-3 Pac-12) took a four-game winning streak into the weekend matches against Washington and Washington State and did not disappoint. The Cardinal dismantled the Washington State Cougars (11-8, 3-6) on Friday night thanks to a quick start that saw it take the first set 25-13 in dominating fashion. The Card went on to win the second set 25-21 and the third 25-6 for a straight-set victory.

Leading the charge once again was sophomore outside hitter Rachel Williams, who torched the Cougars offensively with a match-high 13 kills. Freshman Lydia Bai pitched in with 12 kills, as the pair smothered the Cougar defense all night long. Stanford was able to hold outside hitter Megan Ganzer in check, limiting her to 10 kills for the match. Much of the credit goes to middle blocker Carly Wopat, who led the way at the heart of Stanford’s defense with three blocks.

But the true test came on Saturday night when the Washington Huskies (15-3, 7-3) rolled into town. Coming off of a loss to California, the Huskies were hungry for a win to keep them above Stanford in the Pac-12 standings. However, in front of over 4,000 screaming fans, the Cardinal could not be stopped.

Stanford started off strong, taking a 22-14 lead in the first set. But four straight errors by Bai, Williams and Wopat allowed the Huskies to climb back, forcing the Card to take a timeout. Regaining its composure, Stanford closed out the set for a 25-19 victory.

Wopat got things going for Stanford in the second set, opening with three straight kills. The sophomore came up big when she was needed most, recording 10 kills and three blocks on a match-high .500 hit percentage. Just when the Huskies began to make a run, junior setter Karissa Cook shifted the momentum back Stanford’s way with a phenomenal behind-the-back kill followed by an ace. Cook played extremely well, recording 30 assists and 13 digs to lead all players in both categories.

Then it was time for the Rachel Williams show, as she stifled the Washington defense with back-to-back kills. Williams put on an exhibition on the attack for the fans, leading all players with 15 kills.

“We wanted to keep the momentum going [and] put pressure on them,” she said.

They did just that, winning the second set 25-16, giving Stanford a commanding two-set lead heading into the locker room.

However, the Huskies were not going to lie down and hand Stanford the game. They came out for the third set with a fire that had been missing earlier in the match. Washington battled back from an early deficit to tie the set at 22. The Cardinal continued to fight, taking a 24-23 lead and then ending the match in dramatic fashion with an ace from Wopat.

“It wasn’t pretty in the third set, but we just fought,” Dunning said.

Saturday night’s win against Washington highlights the best stretch of the season thus far for the Cardinal, during which it has won six straight. With the win, Stanford managed to leapfrog Washington in the Pac-12 standings, moving up to fourth place with plenty of games remaining.

The Cardinal will look to continue climbing on the road as it travels to Arizona next weekend to take on Arizona and Arizona State.

• Anonymous

I’m a huge Stanford fan and a strong supporter of Coach Shaw.                        http://bit.ly/qR7Pkx