Stanford football joins Med School study

Researchers equipped Stanford football players with hi-tech mouthpieces capable of registering the force of impact as part of a study conducted by the School of Medicine. The research hopes to provide more data on concussions, including what type of plays or hits are more likely to cause concussions in athletes who play contact sports.

Dr. Daniel Garza, assistant professor of orthopedic surgery and the head researcher, hopes that the data will help diagnose concussions in the future.

“We need to get a better understanding of the epidemiology of these injuries,” Garza said in a School of Medicine statement. “That will involve correlating the magnitude of impacts with associated morbidities, like the number of days lost to injury, as well as looking at players’ head trauma histories to determine possible cumulative effects.”

In the same statement Earl Koberlein, senior associate athletic director, said, “It’s a great opportunity for our student athletes, many of whom conduct scientific research in their academic studies, to contribute to the leading-edge research being done in sports medicine here.”

Concerns over concussions have grown in recent years for both professional and collegiate athletes. Studies have shown that players who suffer concussions report more problems later in life, including symptoms such as slurred speech and nausea.

Researchers plan to expand the test group to include women’s lacrosse and field hockey teams soon.

Brendan O’Byrne