Dwight Powell on SportsCenter now as the "other piece" of the Rondo trade: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

W. Volleyball: Card hopes to keep win streak alive

After a rocky start, the No. 7 Stanford women’s volleyball team is looking to solidify its spot in the top half of the Pac-12 this weekend, searching for its first conference victory outside of Maples Pavilion and aiming to extend its win streak to four matches.

The Cardinal (10-3, 4-3 Pac-12) will hit the road for the first time since a disastrous two-loss trip to Southern California, hoping for better luck up north against Oregon State on Friday and No. 15 Oregon on Saturday.

Sophomore outside hitter Rachel Williams (above) and the Cardinal hope to extend its win streak to four games against the Oregon schools this weekend. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

In the series’ 52-match history, the Card has never lost to the Beavers, a winning tradition it looks to keep alive at least one match longer. A young team with just one senior on its roster, Oregon State (11-5, 3-3) stands only one spot below Stanford in the conference thanks in large part to the play of junior Camille Saxton and freshman outside hitter/middle blocker Arica Nassar.

Saxton, an outside hitter, ranks tenth in the Pac-12 with an average of 3.58 kills per set and fifth with .34 aces–or an ace for every three sets played. Nassar has been a force at the net, ninth in the conference with 1.15 blocks per set, making her the only freshman to appear in the conference’s top ten blockers. Sophomore libero Becky Defoe has been equally solid for the Beavers’ back line, ranking fifth in the conference with 4.39 digs per set and coming close to setting her own school record with 28 digs in last weekend’s three-set loss at No. 3 Washington.

Oregon (12-2, 5-1), currently half a game out of first place in the conference, is one of six Pac-12 squads ranked in the top-15 nationally. The Ducks, who shocked then-No. 1 squad Penn State with a 3-1 victory in State College, Penn. earlier this season, will be looking to rebound this weekend after suffering their first conference loss to Washington on Sep. 30.

Oregon’s impressive offense–fifth in the nation in both assists and kills per set–will be a tough match for Stanford’s equally acclaimed defense. As a team, the Card leads the nation in blocks per set and leads the conference in digs, while junior middle blocker Carly Wopat is the country’s individual blocking leader with 1.71 per set, something she attributes to a renewed mental focus on the court.

“The key to my early season success has really been learning how to outsmart my opponents, rather than just relying on my athletic abilities,” she said.

Sophomore setter Lauren Plum engineers the Ducks’ offense, leading the Pac-12 with 11.89 assists per set, sixth best in the country. Two junior outside hitters, Alaina Bergsma and Katherine Fischer, provide the firepower, with Bergsma beating out Stanford outside hitter Rachel Williams for the conference’s second-most kills (Bergsma averages 4.72 per set, Williams has 4.54) while Fischer contributes another 3.09 kills per set.

The Cardinal will kick off the trip against Oregon State on Friday, Oct. 7 at Gill Coliseum in Corvallis, Ore.