RT @StanfordFball: Stanford ranks No. 1 in the nation in scoring defense (4.3 ppg), total defense (204.3 ypg) and passing defense (66.0 ypg…: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 35, Army 0. Final.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Looks like Stanford will preserve the shutout.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan connects with Montgomery for a 32-yard TD pass with 6:09 left: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Montgomery was down on the ground for a bit longer than normal. Looks like he's okay though.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Tarpley doing what he's best at: pass coverage: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Great block by Johnny Caspers on the TD run.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Montgomery gets into the end zone out of the Wildcat. Stanford up 28-0 with 11:35 left in the game.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will take over at the Army 35.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Swimming: Stanford has strong early showing at National Championships

Through two days at the 2011 ConocoPhillips U.S. National Championships, Stanford Swimming, a team of current and former Cardinal stars, is 16 points behind Tucson Ford Dealers Aquatics for first place, while three Stanford swimmers have won events in the first two days of the meet.

Andi Murez (bottom) was a part of Stanford Swimming's fifth-place team in the 4X100-meter freestyle relay. (CHANEL ZHAN/The Stanford Daily)

Junior Bobby Bollier’s 1:56.64 in the 200-meter butterfly yesterday gave the Cardinal its only A Final win so far, as he edged out two other swimmers by less than 15 hundredths of a second. Two other Stanford swimmers have won freestyle events, with incoming freshman Drew Cosgarea’s win in the 400 C Final on Tuesday and senior Kate Dwelley’s victory in the 200 B Final on Wednesday.

Sophomore Maya DiRado finished high on the leaderboard in two events, placing third in the 200 IM and second in the 200 Free at the B level. Also performing well was alumna Elaine Breeden, who finished third in the 100 fly after winning the NCAA Championship in the event in 2010.

Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.