It's just been announced that Dr. Rick Schavone will be retiring as Stanford head diving coach after 36 seasons at the helm of the program.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Swimming: Stanford has strong early showing at National Championships

Through two days at the 2011 ConocoPhillips U.S. National Championships, Stanford Swimming, a team of current and former Cardinal stars, is 16 points behind Tucson Ford Dealers Aquatics for first place, while three Stanford swimmers have won events in the first two days of the meet.

Andi Murez (bottom) was a part of Stanford Swimming's fifth-place team in the 4X100-meter freestyle relay. (CHANEL ZHAN/The Stanford Daily)

Junior Bobby Bollier’s 1:56.64 in the 200-meter butterfly yesterday gave the Cardinal its only A Final win so far, as he edged out two other swimmers by less than 15 hundredths of a second. Two other Stanford swimmers have won freestyle events, with incoming freshman Drew Cosgarea’s win in the 400 C Final on Tuesday and senior Kate Dwelley’s victory in the 200 B Final on Wednesday.

Sophomore Maya DiRado finished high on the leaderboard in two events, placing third in the 200 IM and second in the 200 Free at the B level. Also performing well was alumna Elaine Breeden, who finished third in the 100 fly after winning the NCAA Championship in the event in 2010.

Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff