The Daily brief: June 30, 2011

June 30, 2011, 5:00 a.m.

Music grant | Stanford Lively Arts was awarded a $500,000 grant by the Andrew M. Mellon foundation, the largest in the organization’s history. The money will be spent helping “engage audiences and the Stanford community more deeply around Lively Arts’ classical music programming,” according to a press release. Planned initiatives include increasing efforts in classical music education, supporting new works and expanding artist residencies

Tuition rankings | The U.S. Department of Education launched a series of lists mandated by the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 on its College Affordability and Transparency Center website. Stanford is ranked #61 on the “highest tuition” report on private, nonprofit 4-year colleges and universities at $38,676 per year during 2009-2010. The most expensive is Sarah Lawrence College in New York at $41,968.

Wine change | Higher average temperatures could literally alter the landscape of the American wine industry over the next 30 years, according to a Stanford study published in the journal Environmental Research Letters. The researchers reported that, in California specifically, the land suitable for growing ‘premium’ wine grapes could shrink by half, while cooler areas in Oregon and Washington could see a significant increase in the same.

Startup spirit | Stanford graduates are more likely to take startup jobs than their counterparts at Harvard, according to a study by Top Prospect.

Overheard | “I was really shocked. I wouldn’t have thought I was very naïve about this stuff. I’ve been doing this for 25 years.” – School of Medicine professor Eugene Carragee M.D. ’82, discussing the findings of a report published in The Spine Journal alleging the side effects of a Medtronic device were downplayed in scientific papers about it. Carragee is the journal’s editor.

Follow The Daily | FacebookTwitterdaily email digest.