RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gonzalez knocks it in from 31. ASU takes a 26-10 lead.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Softball: Cardinal and Crimson Tide contend for trip to College World Series

The Stanford softball team heads to Tuscaloosa, Ala., this weekend to clash with the Alabama Crimson Tide in a best-of-three series with a trip to the Women’s College World Series on the line.

After sweeping its way through the regional with victories over Pacific, Fresno State and Nebraska, Stanford (41-15) looks to punch its ticket to its first College World Series since 2004.

The Stanford softball team heads south this weekend to play the Alabama Crimson Tide in the NCAA Super Regionals with a trip to the Women's College World Series on the line. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

The Cardinal will, once again, lean heavily on junior shortstop Ashley Hansen, who hit .400 this past weekend, scored three runs and drove in three RBI. She was named one of the three finalists for the Amateur Softball Association of America’s National Player of the Year award on Wednesday.

Hansen leads the nation in doubles per game (0.45), ranks second in batting average (.500) and eighth in on-base percentage (.562). Hansen leads the Pac-10 in batting average, on-base percentage, hits and doubles. She is the first Cardinal player ever to be named one of the three finalists for the award.

Stanford also got solid weekends in the regional from sophomore Jenna Rich, who had four of the team’s nine RBI, and sophomore pitcher Teagan Gerhart, who shut down the opposing offenses all weekend while posting a 0.67 ERA and going 3-0.

The No. 2 seed Crimson Tide (49-8) pounded its way through the Tuscaloosa Regional, dominating Jackson State, Memphis and Chattanooga with 8-0, 7-1 and 11-2 victories.

The win was the seventh straight regional victory for the Tide. The program has advanced to the College World Series four times in the last six years.

Senior Whitney Larsen leads Alabama offensively, as she batted .700 with four runs, a double, triple and nine RBI in the NCAA Regional. The Tide also impresses on the mound, as freshman pitcher Jackie Traina pitched a no-hitter against Jackson State in the first game of the regional, allowing just one runner to reach base on an infield error.

The Cardinal and Crimson Tide play the first game of a best-of-three series Thursday at 5 p.m. PST in Tuscaloosa.