Kappa Sigma to lose housing

The Daily has learned that Kappa Sigma will be stripped of its on campus housing at the end of the 2010-11 academic year. The fraternity was placed on provisional alcohol and party suspension last October.

Although Kappa Sig retained its charter following a January meeting with the national Supreme Executive Committee in Las Vegas, it was still subject to a University review process.

“We did lose our house,” said Harris Brown ’11, former president of the fraternity. “There is an appeals process that we fully intend to pursue.”

-An Le Nguyen

• fact check @Thinking Cap

“Logically, who are the people who know exactly what happens and has happened at the Kappa Sig house? Kappa Sig and the University.”

you seem to be neither a member of kappa sigma or the university administration…so why are exactly are you commenting on this then?

• Lebron James

what should they do?

• Lebron James

should they admit they’ve made mistakes?

• Lebron James

should they say how much fun they had?

• Lebron James

should they give us a history lesson?

• Lebron James

should they believe that this has ruined their legacy?

• Lebron James

should they tell us that they are not role models

• Lebron James

should they be who we want them to be?

• Lebron James

maybe they should just disappear…

• AEPi

That’s awesome! Maybe now we’ll get a house to throw parties and still nobody will come to them.

• For the record

Wow, all the Kappa Sigs are out trolling in full force.

@@horatio
    “i’d say that parties are pretty damn important, in fact they are the reason that many of us that actually got into multiple schools chose to go here.”

And this is precisely why you shouldn’t have a house. Because your reply to the negative claim about Kappa Sig’s contributions are that “parties are pretty damn important.” Stop for a second and listen to yourself. And if that’s why you chose Stanford, I can’t say that the others in the comments are out of line for questioning how you got into Stanford. (Plus, everyone knew during admit weekend that Stanford’s not the school you’d want to go to if you’re party-hardy, so I have no idea how this makes sense.)

@Golden Hearted Virginian

Clearly, Kappa Sig did not satisfactorily complete the requirements imposed by the university.

“that amounts to a collective 200,000 hours of time wasted by a community pursuing an endeavor that was ultimately fruitless from the get-go.”

Are you talking about all your community service hours that you guys did? If that’s what you mean, then it’s a damn good thing that you guys won’t have a house anymore. Those service hours are “wasted” to you because it didn’t have a payoff.

Even if that’s not what you mean, the fact that you guys don’t really do service to the community unless under threat of losing your house speaks volumes to the character of Kappa Sig.

• Foam party

WOOOOOOO, KAPPA SIG, FOAM PARTY!!!!!

• Off the record

@For the record

Before you speak out against Kappa Sigma commitment to community service, try comparing the benefits from SigNu + Kappa’s SnowChella (an event that the university seems to love that has barely broken even in the past 3 years) to Kappa Sig’s VH1 Save the Music (which was organized by a single Kappa Sig). Just because Kappa Sig doesn’t host a huge “community service” party doesn’t mean they don’t contribute.

• @Off the record

Oh ya, Kappa Sig’s VH1 Save the Music was a huge deal on campus… really changed the community for the better.

Please.

(The fact that it was organized by a single Kappa Sig does not say that Kappa Sig is doing community service. It says one person in the fraternity has the decency to do it. And I question Kappa Sig’s motive for doing it anyway; was it only under pressure from the university or IFC that the frat needed to do more for the community?)

• Off the record

LOLOL are you saying that SnowChella changed the community for the better?? How can any party, even those under the guise of community service, really contribute…?

And it was ORGANIZED by a single Kappa Sig backed by the house. At least 15 others majorly contributed by playing or by helping set up. And give them a house to throw a rager with a sorority beforehand and you’ll see the truth about how alcohol brings people to events.

• Thinking Cap

@fact check.

I was commenting because the two people to whom I was responding are attributing Kappa Sig’s situation to people who hate the fraternity system, and they make themselves out to be the victims of “discrimination” and “marginalization.” That is not the case at all, and I was only pointing out what the University’s motive would be for taking away Kappa Sig’s house. I called them out on spinning the situation in a way that makes the University the villain when that isn’t what happened here. It’s disingenuous, and if they truly believe what they’re saying, then they seriously need to re-evaluate the the things they feel entitled to and their relationship with this private institution.

• New Kappa Sig House

BREAKING NEWS
    Kappa Sig just got a new house right next to Palo Alto High School.
    It was reported that the fraternity is very happy with their new housing, because of the the new audience of their all campus parties.
    It was further reported that Kappa Sig received permission from the high school principal to serve alcohol to high schoolers who are older than 21 (?) in a new party series called SnowChella which will be the biggest act of community service they have done yet.

• @for the record

“Are you talking about all your community service hours that you guys did? If that’s what you mean, then it’s a damn good thing that you guys won’t have a house anymore. Those service hours are “wasted” to you because it didn’t have a payoff.
    Even if that’s not what you mean, the fact that you guys don’t really do service to the community unless under threat of losing your house speaks volumes to the character of Kappa Sig.”

1. the 200,000 hours was a reference to the amount of time that Kappa Sigma has spent trying to change and rebrand itself in the eyes of the university. the frustration they feel is that this process was waste because it seemed like the university had wanted to get rid of the fraternity for the get go, and that the university was just stringing them along for amusement.

2. the issue at hand is that Kappa Sigma actually does do a lot of community service, just not in the form of gigantic one time events, such as Snowchella or ThetaBreakers. your idea of service to the community, based off of your statement above, doesn’t make much sense. maybe Kappa Sigma should have done a better job publicizing its community service events instead of assuming that the Stanford community would automatically recognize their actions.

it seems that you have deep-seeded hostility towards Kappa Sigma. you should probably stop letting that sentiment cloud your thinking because you come off as an overly self-righteous know-it-all, who judging from what was stated above, actually knows very little about this situation.

• @@for the record

1. Yeah, seems like you’re saying that it was useless to you because it didn’t have a concrete payoff for you. You’re bitching that the university was “stringing you along” — honestly, they gave you a chance to prove yourself, and you guys fell short. There are other deserving fraternities that should be allowed the chance to have a house and prove they’re more worthwhile to the community than Kappa Sig.

2. I’m sure that Kappa Sig has done other community service. I don’t think that all service needs to be done in large events; those are the hardest to organize. It just seems, not just to me but to the university and apparently a lot of other people, that Kappa Sig just didn’t do enough or perhaps they focused their efforts in the wrong places. Perhaps there’s more value than others think; perhaps there isn’t. Either way, Kappa Sig’s value has been determined to be… not worthy of a house.

I don’t have any “deep-seeded [sic]” hostility toward Kappa Sig. I’ll give criticism where criticism is due. You, however, can’t seem to take any kind of criticism without lashing out–so you resort to childish name-calling like “self-righteous know it all.”

Maybe you’re right–my knowledge of this situation is only what I’ve seen and heard, and as others stated, the only ones who know the full extent of the situation are Kappa Sig and the university. But apparently the university has made the same judgment as I and others have, and you (or your brothers; not sure who posted before) have already lashed out at and criticized the university for their decision. I’m seeing a pattern here, are you?

Maybe it’s time to stop blaming others and start looking inward. If you choose a set of new pledges who can better prove the worth of the fraternity, you might get another house in a few years. (Patronizing tone just for you.)

• @ @for the record

1. Yeah, seems like you’re saying that it was useless to you because it didn’t have a concrete payoff for you. You’re complaining that the university was “stringing you along” — honestly, they gave you a chance to prove yourself, and you guys fell short. There are other deserving fraternities that should be allowed the chance to have a house and prove they’re more worthwhile to the community than Kappa Sig.

2. I’m sure that Kappa Sig has done other community service. I don’t think that all service needs to be done in large events; those are the hardest to organize. It just seems, not just to me but to the university and apparently a lot of other people, that Kappa Sig just didn’t do enough or perhaps they focused their efforts in the wrong places. Maybe there’s more value than others think; maybe there isn’t. Either way, Kappa Sig’s value has been determined to be… not worthy of a house.

• i heart kappa sig

I love kappa sig. love their parties, love their sexual harassments, love their sexual assaults. love when they put someone in the hospital. love their really cool guys. yes i think its the cool guys i love the most. the really really really cool guys. they definitely set the standard

• dumb

this is the dumbest string of posts. (mine included)

• dumb

except ResEd’s. its useful information

• This is absurd

As a non-greek member, I don’t know many kappa sigs, but it seems like everyone bashing them is basing their info on what they have “heard.” Since the school has only one news source (the Daily), written totally by students who may or may not be struggling for new things to write about, it seems like kappa sig has found themselves in the Daily a lot lately. Maybe what’s been written about them is true for all fraternities? Haven’t other frats had way more alcohol transports and sexual assault-related incidents this year than kappa sig as had? If the spotlight was shifted to other houses, I feel like they would all lose their house within a quarter as well. The university (and all of you people), should either move to banish all frats, or stop focusing on one at a time. The same thing happened to SAE a few years ago and they seem the same as always, the spotlight has just shifted..

• @This is absurd

“If the spotlight was shifted to other houses, I feel like they would all lose their house within a quarter as well.”

No, they wouldn’t.

I find it funny that you deplore the bashing based on hearsay, then go on to state the above. As a non-Greek member, you probably aren’t aware that not all fraternities are the same, most don’t have this problem (at least, not right now, though new members added each year can change that), and the spotlight is on Kappa Sig because it’s an outlier right now. There are specific standards that the university sets for its housed frats; those that don’t meet them lose their house. Believe me, housing has the resources to take down (simultaneously) any and every frat that doesn’t meet these standards. The only other one undergoing similar scrutiny due to their own transgressions is SAE, though not quite as bad. But like someone said, we all know it’s a matter of time before SAE does another no-no and they lose their house too. A lot of people are surprised Kappa Sig is getting the boot before SAE.

• Stanford Sophomore

I think this is sad. The fraternities at Stanford take on a tremendous amount of liability in order to provide a social outlet, then people go to their houses and make a mess, then ridicule fraternities for incidents that might be their fault or might be the fault of guests. Of course college fraternities aren’t perfect. But they’re important to have nonetheless. It doesn’t seem fair to make blanket statements about an entire group of people based on isolated incidents, some of which I’m sure can be attributed to individuals and are not representative of the group as a whole. Just as not each member of the Black Student Union is the same, I’m sure not each member of every fraternity is the same. No one’s even been to kappa sigma this year because they haven’t been allowed to throw parties, and somehow the university still thought they should lose their house. I think this entire situation is unfortunate. I do like the Lebron James comments though.

• @ @This is absurd

I am not a greek student, but I am very surprised by your comment. I am not sure why you are so quick to pass judgement on things I doubt you know much about. I don’t even enjoy frat parties, but I know a lot of them individually and I know that they aren’t blood-sucking creeps. You are right, all frats are not the same, but I am pretty sure that each has its own problems with the university.

“But like someone said, we all know it’s a matter of time before SAE does another no-no and they lose their house too. A lot of people are surprised Kappa Sig is getting the boot before SAE.”

I actually don’t know many SAEs, but don’t you think you are propagating stereotypes that help enforce a general negative sentiment toward frats? Yes, they deserve some of their bad flak, all on their own. But how much do you know, how many of them do you actually know, and why are you making such blanket statements?

“As a non-Greek member, you probably aren’t aware that not all fraternities are the same, most don’t have this problem (at least, not right now, though new members added each year can change that), and the spotlight is on Kappa Sig because it’s an outlier right now.”

To me, you sound like another frat-boy trying to defend the frat system (or yourself) by putting down Kappa Sigma. Chill out man, and quit being so self-righteous.

• @@@This is absurd

“I actually don’t know many SAEs, but don’t you think you are propagating stereotypes that help enforce a general negative sentiment toward frats?”

Uh, where have I propagated any stereotype? Haven’t I already said right now it’s confined to Kappa Sig and not the other frats?

“But how much do you know, how many of them do you actually know, and why are you making such blanket statements?”

A lot of them. I’m not the one making blanket statements; you are, about the entire frat system.

“To me, you sound like another frat-boy trying to defend the frat system (or yourself) by putting down Kappa Sigma. ”

To me, you sound like a Kappa Sig posting comments under the guise of an objective third party. I’m only saying that Kappa Sig does have problems and that’s why they’re facing consequences. If other frats had these problems, they would also be losing their houses. They are not. That supports my own knowledge that they don’t have the same problems (in this specific instance).

• @@@@This is absurd

This is ridiculous. And yes, you are right, and you are the only objective third party.

• Any girl on campus

Sae= sexual assault expected
    Kappa sig = sexual assault already encountered once

• Compromise

My two cents:

1. Seems like Kappa Sig is being railroaded
    2. If Kappa Sig turns into another 680… that would be lame
    3. If Kappa Sig is replaced by some unhoused frat… that might be reasonable

BTW, anyone have any details on the Kappa Sig sexual assault accusation last year?

• @compromise

My friend who works in res ed said that kappa sig has had 3 sexual assault allegations in the past three years. one by someone who graduated either last year or the year before and then two more by people who kappa sigma then kicked out (obviously).
    in the past kappa sigma had a bad reputation for treating women poorly i think, but of the guys who live there now i haven’t heard any complaints. the kappa sigmas i know (i only know two lol) are really really nice guys

• Daugherty

I’m a senior and have actually never heard of Kappa Sig sexual assaults or perceived it as one often guilty of it. Though I do think it’s good that an unhoused frat will (hopefully) have a shot at having a house.

The selling weed part is so true! I know someone who used to buy there all the time, haha. That very well may be one of the reasons that Kappa Sig is facing this punishment.

• Stuart Upfill-Brown

I’m actually a current Kappa Sig, and these comments have been pretty damn
    tough to read. I’m not going spar back at every under-informed comment
    above, but I’m just gonna say this: please stop. I realize some people
    writing comments are trying to be funny, some people are trying to be
    helpful, and some people are just expressing their hatred for Kappa Sig, but
    the fact is you all know very, very little about our situation.

I’m not saying those who hate us don’t have a right to; we’ve definitely
    done some wrong in the past few years. But know that this year, we broken
    our backs, turned on our own, and struggled tirelessly to right our wrongs,
    change our mentality, and take accountability for the things we’ve done in
    the past. It’s easy for you to create stereotypes and mold us to fit those,
    but it’s hard for us to prove to an entire campus that those stereotypes are
    wrong. Especially when the powers above us have barred us from doing so.

You haven’t really seen us as a fraternity this year. We’ve been under
    complete probation from both our national organization and the Stanford
    Administration (we got in trouble for our community service event last
    quarter, because it was an “event”). But if you could, I think you’d be
    surprised. If you have deep issues with Kappa Sig, please, PLEASE swing by
    for a delicious meal at the house and talk to us about it. Perhaps you’ll
    be surprised at the differences in this place.

Stuart Upfill-Brown, Sophomore

• MEOW

meow meow meow meow meow! meow meow meow! meow meow meow! MEOW MEOW. MEow, meow meow!

• @Stuart

It’s not the end for Kappa Sigma. I know the campus can and will change its perceptions even if you guys don’t have a house. I don’t know a lot about the dynamics of a fraternity, but I can say that even without a house, you guys are still brothers. Good luck with the appeal, and even if it doesn’t turn out well, the university can’t stop you from being a fraternity and proving those stereotypes wrong.

• @@@@This is absurd 2

“If other frats had these problems, they would also be losing their houses. They are not. That supports my own knowledge that they don’t have the same problems (in this specific instance).”

Sigma Nu has sent at least 6 people to the hospital this year and have only faced hard alcohol probation. Kappa Sigma had one incident during NSO where a student was sent to the hospital. Both have similar infractions, but only one is getting the boot. It’d be interesting to here why both are facing different punishments.

• in the know

High level University and Housing sources have told me that SAE has made a large donation to the university and will soon be awarded Kappa Sig’s vacated house as a second house for SAE. SAE will be able to grow its membership by over 50%. The official announcement should come in the next few weeks.

• Evan Spiegel

As a member of Kappa Sigma (currently abroad) I was stunned by the announcement that we had lost our house. I think the most concerning element is the lack of due process – I have been stunned by the lack of empathetic administrators and the absence of any formal process to guide this “review.” It should be extremely alarming for members of the greek community that ResEd has the unequivocal power to remove student groups on little more than a whim. I would not be surprised if the full story comes out over time – there is clearly something more substantial than “a lack of contribution to the Stanford community” that our organization is not aware of.

As a fraternity, we are unfortunately prone to attracting members who believe that “brotherhood” is about blacking out and meeting freshmen girls. It’s nearly impossible to weed out all of the bad apples during two weeks of rush and we have tried to adopt standards and processes for handling such individuals in our organization. I wish we had been able to preempt every incident that has occurred, but sometimes the best we can do is follow-through after the fact. In the case of alleged sexual assaults, we are prohibited from talking about them to respect the privacy of those involved (through pressure from ResEd) so it is often difficult to discuss such events as a community. I believe this results in a “black box” effect that tends to encourage gossip throughout the Stanford community when students are unaware of the facts and concerned about injustice on campus. We really appreciate when women who feel uncomfortable in our house come and speak with us about it – it helps us grow as a house – but we acknowledge that it can be difficult and intimidating to initiate some of those conversations. To that effect, it is our responsibility to reach out to members of the community to make sure that their concerns are being heard and that our behavior is respectful of the wide-ranging views on campus. We can’t always get it right, but we’re trying our best.

I think it is also important to frame this discussion in the context of alcohol policy on the Stanford campus that encourages pre-gaming and overconsumption (especially among freshmen) and precludes students from taking responsibility by allowing them to fall back on the safety net of “collective responsibility.” The discrepancy in alcohol policy that allows freshmen to consume hard alcohol in their dorm rooms under the supervision their RAs and RFs but requires fraternities to police kegs or risk expulsion is a painful irony. I find the act of holding a fraternity responsible for individual overconsumption akin to russian roulette – too often individuals do not get the help they need because they are not held responsible for their actions. Outside the Stanford bubble, It’d be a lot like holding liquor stores responsible for alcoholism.

As a former Party Planning Peer Advisor in the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, I can attest to the outrageous bureaucracy that, in a period of 7 months, has transformed from a supportive ally of Kappa Sigma to an administration guiding a forced removal of Kappa Sigma against the tireless work of students who deeply value the ability to learn and grow together in their home. Once in charge of “approving” registered events on campus, I am now a member of a student group that has been targeted for removal without due process. I am confused by this rapid change in relations, especially during a period when Kappa Sigma has been prevented from hosting any social functions.

I am disappointed that the discussion above has devolved into drivel comparing the behavior of fraternities in regards to community service events, alcohol violations, and sexual assault – as if these are the standards by which fraternities are measured. Such behavior inhibits a more thorough dialogue about these issues that are pervasive in our community.

As this process stretches into yet another quarter, I would like to thank the endless number of supporters that Kappa Sigma has had throughout this ordeal. It’s easy for students to say “not my group” and allow the administration unrestrained influence over the academic and social experience of students on campus. For many, however, Stanford University is about a lot more than problem sets and class time – it’s about having fun with fellow classmates and forming lasting friendships.

It’s only a matter of time before the over-resourced Stanford bureaucracy finds fault with the practices of your student group. Please don’t let it bring you down. It’s paramount for Stanford students to take responsibility for their own education – whether based in experience or in the classroom – and I hope that students are able to negotiate the complex relationships involved in growth without too much limiting oversight. With or without Kappa Sigma, Stanford students will find ways to have fun and express themselves to the chagrin of low-level administrators working their way up the Ivory Tower.

I’m looking forward to Eurotrash 2011.

Evan

• Wow

^ Great response, Evan, very mature and level-headed, proof that such people do exist in Kappa Sig. :) If someone didn’t have any negative perceptions of Kappa Sig guys before, they sure would after reading some of the comments they posted here. I assume these are the “bad apples” you talk about; in two pages they managed to make fun of at least 3 different groups on campus. Way to go, guys.

We support you, non-bad-apples of Kappa Sig, even if the university doesn’t.

• Brian Barnes

This is Brian Barnes, the President of Kappa Sigma. I apologize for many of the above posts as they are not indicative of Kappa Sigma’s mentality. Comments on the Daily are not an appropriate forum to discuss our position but we look forward to communicating the ways in which we have maturely addressed our problems. We will continue to work alongside the University to better Kappa Sigma and the Stanford community.

There will be no future posts by Kappa Sigmas on this thread.

• due process

due process!?!?! haha welcome to a Private School buddy

• BOOM

Evan just dropped heat rocks of knowledge on everyone’s asses! Nice man that was so well thought and written.

• Pull Rank

Kappa Sig,

Don’t know how long your chapter has been around on campus, but if you have some important alumni (i.e. big university donors) who really care about your organization this is the time to reach out to them. I’m sure it will scare the pants-off of what Evan calls “low-level administrators working their way up the Ivory Tower” if they receive a call from a former Kappa Sigma Stanford University donor saying that they won’t give another cent to the university if Kappa Sig gets kicked off campus. Because there is no transparent or formal “review” process, you might find some serious success in your appeals process as there will be some higher-level administrators facing pressure from what realistically runs the university–money. As the name implies, just pull rank and stop dealing with low-level people who have nothing better to do with their lives than deal with Stanford University fraternities (heavy emphasis on Stanford fraternities). You go to any other campus and you bet that they are dealing with far more serious issues with their fraternity systems.

Good luck!

• katherine

An accusation about alcohol violation, sexual assault, etc does not mean that any wrong was done. Accusations and rumors are simply just what they are and should be treated as such until due process has been done.