M. Basketball: Bears deal bitter end

In a season finale characterized by poor shooting and porous defense, the Stanford men’s basketball team fell Saturday afternoon to rival Cal, 74-55.

The Cardinal (15-15, 7-11) had one of its worst shooting performances of the year and never had an answer for Cal (17-13, 10-8), which led comfortably the entire game.

Cal burst out of the gate early, jumping to an 8-2 lead by the first TV timeout with 15:25 left in the first half. Following the timeout, Cal junior forward Harper Kamp made a layup and Stanford freshman forward Dwight Powell scored what would be the Cardinal’s only basket in the ensuing five minutes. With nine minutes left in the first half, The Cardinal had only four total points and trailed by 15.

M. Basketball: Bears deal bitter end
Junior guard Jeremy Green, above, put up 19 points in Stanford's loss to Cal. (Stanford Daily File Photo)

The Bears were spearheaded by Kamp, who had eight of Cal’s first 14 points and was a perfect 5-for-5 from the field in the first half. At the seven-minute mark, Stanford was down, 23-8, and had nearly as many turnovers (seven) as it did points (eight). Cal continued to force bad shots and create good ones of its own–with 1:50 remaining in the first half, Cal led 33-15 and appeared to be coasting to an insurmountable first-half lead. However, in its first sign of life all game, the Cardinal scored six points to end the half trailing 33-21.

In the sub-par first half, junior guard Jeremy Green did everything he could to keep the Cardinal in the game. Riding smooth mid-range jumpers and two three-pointers, Green scored 14 of the Cardinal’s 21 first half points. No other Cardinal player had more than two points in the half and the team as a whole shot 28 percent from the field.

Stanford came out harder in the second, forcing three turnovers and several missed shots. The Cardinal scored the first four points to pull within eight (33-25) at the 17:30 mark. Cal then turned its offense back on and scored on each of its next 10 possessions, pushing out its lead to 53-32 with 11:23 left in the game. Central to the big run and to Cal’s second half offense in general was freshman guard Allen Crabbe, who was electric for the whole 20 minutes–he scored 21 of his 24 total points in the half, missing just one shot and lighting Stanford’s defense up from every spot on the court. From there, the game was never in doubt. Shot after shot, Cal extended its lead, getting as far ahead as 28 with a minute left, at 74-46.

In one of his best all-around games of the season, Crabbe also finished with nine rebounds. Cal junior guard, Jorge Gutierrez, spread the ball around with seven assists and Kamp also contributed in the second half, supporting Crabbe and finishing with 20 points of his own.

For the Cardinal, Green finished with 19 points while the rest of the team shot a collective 16-45 (35.5 percent) from the field on the game. The Cardinal also shot an abysmal 9-19 (47.4 percent) from the free throw line.

Stanford will try to extend its season at next week’s Pac-10 tournament in Los Angeles. As the eighth seed, the Cardinal will face ninth-seeded Oregon State at 6:10 p.m. Wednesday in the first game of an opening round doubleheader. The Cardinal split the season series with the Beavers, winning the first game on Jan. 29, 70-56, and losing Feb. 26, 87-80. If the Cardinal wins that game, it will advance to play No. 1 seed Arizona the next day.

All Pac-10 tournament games will be played at the Staples Center.