RT @stanfordmswim: David Nolan steps onto the blocks. Goes 1:39.38 in the 200 IM. Fastest ever. NCAA title. Drops mic.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @RuleofTree: Quarterback KJ Costello commits to Stanford. 4-star rated as the 33rd best player in the country: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @treeSIDjorge: Stanford's home tilt with Vanderbilt in 2024 will mark the first ever visit to Stanford Stadium by an SEC program: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford announces football series with Vanderbilt (2021/4/5/7) and TCU (2024/7).: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @MikeReiss: Bill Belichick said RB Tyler Gaffney, who spent last year on IR, was at the facility every day. "Excited to work with Tyler …: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Christen Press wins Hermann Trophy

Stanford senior forward Christen Press wrapped up a season of accolades by winning the Hermann Trophy on Friday. The trophy is annually awarded to the best player in collegiate women’s soccer, and is widely recognized as the sport’s most prestigious honor.

Press captained the Stanford women’s soccer team deep into this season’s NCAA Tournament. After going undefeated through the regular season, the Cardinal made it all the way to the final of the College Cup, only to fall to Notre Dame, 1-0.

Press had a remarkable senior season, breaking the career records for Stanford’s program in goals (71), assists (41) and points (183). She led the nation in goals this season with 26 and in points with 60, and tied Kelley O’Hara for Stanford’s single-season goals record.

O’Hara won the Hermann Trophy last season, making Stanford only the second school (along with North Carolina) to have different individuals win the trophy in consecutive years.

The Hermann Trophy is the last in a string of Press’ postseason accolades. She was also named Pac-10 player of the year and earned first-team All-America honors. A communications major, Press was also a first-team academic All-American and earned the Pac-10’s scholar-athlete of the year award for women’s soccer.

About Kabir Sawhney

Kabir Sawhney is currently a desk editor for the News section. He served as the Managing Editor of Sports last volume.
  • Les Taylor

I guess the voters missed seeing her quit in the championship game against Notre Dame!