Stanford at 11th in the first coaches poll of the season.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @DavidMLombardi: Also, coach Shaw’s and Ty Montgomery’s comments today had a much more optimistic vibe re: Montgomery’s arm injury than …: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jjarcega_22: Blessed to officially be committed to Stanford University!! #GoCard #NerdGang #Cali 🌲♦️🏈🙏: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Christen Press wins Hermann Trophy

Stanford senior forward Christen Press wrapped up a season of accolades by winning the Hermann Trophy on Friday. The trophy is annually awarded to the best player in collegiate women’s soccer, and is widely recognized as the sport’s most prestigious honor.

Press captained the Stanford women’s soccer team deep into this season’s NCAA Tournament. After going undefeated through the regular season, the Cardinal made it all the way to the final of the College Cup, only to fall to Notre Dame, 1-0.

Press had a remarkable senior season, breaking the career records for Stanford’s program in goals (71), assists (41) and points (183). She led the nation in goals this season with 26 and in points with 60, and tied Kelley O’Hara for Stanford’s single-season goals record.

O’Hara won the Hermann Trophy last season, making Stanford only the second school (along with North Carolina) to have different individuals win the trophy in consecutive years.

The Hermann Trophy is the last in a string of Press’ postseason accolades. She was also named Pac-10 player of the year and earned first-team All-America honors. A communications major, Press was also a first-team academic All-American and earned the Pac-10’s scholar-athlete of the year award for women’s soccer.

About Kabir Sawhney

Kabir Sawhney is currently a desk editor for the News section. He served as the Managing Editor of Sports last volume.
  • Les Taylor

I guess the voters missed seeing her quit in the championship game against Notre Dame!