Shaw on the Burns fumbled snap: "It was a poor center-quarterback exchange. It was supposed to be a pass and I saw two guys open.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We practiced outstanding the last two weeks...It's my job to figure out how to translate that to the game.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "I don't know if there's a better football player on defense in the country than Solomon Thomas.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We're not playing at the level we need at the quarterback.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "Offensively, there's a lot of questions we have to answer as a staff...that's on me.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "The defense was outstanding...Coach Lance Anderson did a fantastic job.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Christen Press wins Hermann Trophy

Stanford senior forward Christen Press wrapped up a season of accolades by winning the Hermann Trophy on Friday. The trophy is annually awarded to the best player in collegiate women’s soccer, and is widely recognized as the sport’s most prestigious honor.

Press captained the Stanford women’s soccer team deep into this season’s NCAA Tournament. After going undefeated through the regular season, the Cardinal made it all the way to the final of the College Cup, only to fall to Notre Dame, 1-0.

Press had a remarkable senior season, breaking the career records for Stanford’s program in goals (71), assists (41) and points (183). She led the nation in goals this season with 26 and in points with 60, and tied Kelley O’Hara for Stanford’s single-season goals record.

O’Hara won the Hermann Trophy last season, making Stanford only the second school (along with North Carolina) to have different individuals win the trophy in consecutive years.

The Hermann Trophy is the last in a string of Press’ postseason accolades. She was also named Pac-10 player of the year and earned first-team All-America honors. A communications major, Press was also a first-team academic All-American and earned the Pac-10’s scholar-athlete of the year award for women’s soccer.

About Kabir Sawhney

Kabir Sawhney is currently a desk editor for the News section. He served as the Managing Editor of Sports last volume.
  • Les Taylor

I guess the voters missed seeing her quit in the championship game against Notre Dame!