ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: This just feels like another one of those five-set marathon matches. Par for the course between these two teams.: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Christen Press wins Hermann Trophy

Stanford senior forward Christen Press wrapped up a season of accolades by winning the Hermann Trophy on Friday. The trophy is annually awarded to the best player in collegiate women’s soccer, and is widely recognized as the sport’s most prestigious honor.

Press captained the Stanford women’s soccer team deep into this season’s NCAA Tournament. After going undefeated through the regular season, the Cardinal made it all the way to the final of the College Cup, only to fall to Notre Dame, 1-0.

Press had a remarkable senior season, breaking the career records for Stanford’s program in goals (71), assists (41) and points (183). She led the nation in goals this season with 26 and in points with 60, and tied Kelley O’Hara for Stanford’s single-season goals record.

O’Hara won the Hermann Trophy last season, making Stanford only the second school (along with North Carolina) to have different individuals win the trophy in consecutive years.

The Hermann Trophy is the last in a string of Press’ postseason accolades. She was also named Pac-10 player of the year and earned first-team All-America honors. A communications major, Press was also a first-team academic All-American and earned the Pac-10’s scholar-athlete of the year award for women’s soccer.

About Kabir Sawhney

Kabir Sawhney is currently a desk editor for the News section. He served as the Managing Editor of Sports last volume.
  • Les Taylor

I guess the voters missed seeing her quit in the championship game against Notre Dame!