Welcome to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Hogwarts is brought to life in Orlando's Harry Potter-themed amusement park. (LAUREN WILSON/The Stanford Daily)

With Thanksgiving break and the first installment of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” hitting theaters Nov. 19, there are bound to be some folks flying out to the magical lands of Orlando to check out The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. To prep for that, Intermission has kindly provided an official breakdown of what could very well be the greatest experience of any true “Potter” fan’s life.

Entering Hogsmeade is guaranteed the closest we Muggles will ever get to experiencing the magical world of Harry, Hermione and Co. It’s truly magical. The rooftops are perpetually covered in snow. The Hogwarts Express toots a welcome while blasting steam, and, like the real Hogsmeade, it’s constantly bustling with hordes of people. Shopping-wise, the first stores you hit are Zonko’s, the toy shop and Honeydukes, the candy store, which are connected. Zonko’s carries various memorabilia and wizard toys mentioned in the novels as well as more common, vintage-looking toys like a tin robot or wooden duck. If you look up while you cross into Honeydukes, you’ll see extendable ears dangling from the ceiling. The colors in the candy shop are as vibrant and delicious as the goodies it sells. Here you can get your Cauldron Cakes, treacle tarts, Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans and Chocolate Frogs which naturally come with a holographic trading card.

The famed portraits both speak and move. (LAUREN WILSON/The Stanford Daily)

For more standard souvenirs, there’s Filch’s Emporium nestled in the base of the Hogwarts castle and Dervish and Banges outside the Dragon Challenge rollercoaster. If you’re willing to wait in line, there’s a quick five-minute “wand-selecting” process inside Ollivanders that faithfully recreates the “wand chooses the wizard” scene from “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.” From there, you’re shepherded into D & B. The more impatient may use the general entrance by the Owl Post. Be forewarned: anything you buy from The Wizarding World is going to cost exorbitant amounts of money. A simple robe runs about $100 each, while wands go for a little over $30.

When you get hungry, swing by the Three Broomsticks for a meal. For a theme park, the prices aren’t too bad – around $10-15 a meal. The Hog’s Head pub is located on the opposite side of the Three Broomsticks for those looking for a drink. You can buy pumpkin juice and Butterbeer at the pub, or from the little snack carts littered about The Wizarding World. Butterbeer comes in two options: cold is slightly cheaper but frozen is a slushier form that’s worth the extra 50 cents, especially in the humid Florida weather. The pumpkin juice tastes like a pumpkin-spiced thick cider, while the Butterbeer is a frothy, butterscotch cream soda concoction.

As for the rides, Dragon Challenge is the same Dueling Dragons rollercoaster that’s been around since Island of Adventure’s opening in 1999, though now it’s been refurbished as homage to the Triwizard Tournament. Riders can choose to take on either the Chinese Fireball or the Hungarian Horntail. Flight of the Hippogriff is also a revamped version of an older ride. Formerly the Flying Unicorn, it’s meant to mimic Care of Magical Creatures professor Hagrid teaching students to ride hippogriffs. It’s a nice attraction for younger visitors who may be too scared or short to go on the other rides.

The Wizarding World is jam-packed with painstaking detail and references that will undoubtedly please any “Harry Potter” fan. Hermione’s Yule Ball dress from the fourth book is on display in one of the shop windows, piles of Gilderoy Lockhart’s latest books are stacked in another. There’s a Gringotts sign over the ATM, and visitors can hear Moaning Myrtle whine while they use the restroom. However, nothing can hold a candle to Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, the crown jewel of The Wizarding World. There isn’t another ride like it in the world; it’s probably the best amusement park ride you’ll ever experience, at least for now. Even waiting in line is fun. You basically get a walking tour of Hogwarts, and it’s the real deal – the house points, magic tools like the Pensieve and, most importantly, talking portraits. The Forbidden Journey takes riders through Hogwarts and allows them to experience the Forbidden Forest, a Quidditch match, the Chamber of Secrets and more. It’s an incredibly complicated combination of simulation screens, real-life props like a mechanical Whomping Willow and other special effects like heat from a dragon’s breath. It gets pretty scary too. If you don’t at least jump a little when a pack of dementors start popping out, you’re lying. Riders desperate to go again should take advantage of the single rider’s line, which can bypass the long wait.

You’re probably going to leave The Wizarding World with junk you’d never thought you’d buy like the aforementioned wands (literally $30 sticks) or a $25 picture to prove you went on the Forbidden Journey. While you’ll probably leave with a bank account that looks more like the Weasleys’ than Harry’s, I guarantee you won’t be complaining.