GSC discusses VSO funding concerns, Marguerite plans

The Graduate Student Council (GSC) considered three requests for funding, discussed budget concerns regarding the funding of Voluntary Student Organizations (VSOs) and announced updates on current student programming at Wednesday night’s meeting.

Co-chair and medical student Jessica Tsai began the meeting by thanking council members for organizing last weekend’s council retreat. A primary topic at the retreat was the state of the council’s funding for VSOs, according to Tsai.

Fourth-year genetics student and deputy funding chair Erik Lehnert said that the council has decreased its reserve amount “to basically what we want to contain it at…so there might be a time in April when we say, ‘OK, close shop. We’re done funding here.’”

“I recommend having these conversations with every group that comes,” he added, saying the council will need to consider whether or not it will continue to fund full dinners at guest speaker events.

Engineers for a Sustainable World and the Hong Kong Student Association were awarded $1,200 and $580 respectively for upcoming events. Voting on the Chinese Women Collective at Stanford (CWCS) request for $175 to host a workshop with a Chinese makeup artist is being postponed until next week until more information is known about the qualifications of the artist.

The council confirmed that the CWCS could spend the $160 it had previously been awarded to cover the cost of food at a skin-care event at Stanford Shopping Center. The CWCS had expressed concerns that the funds could not be used because the Shopping Center is not technically part of Stanford campus, but the GSC voted to permit the use of funds because, in the words of Lehnert, the Shopping Center is “still Stanford-owned property.”

Ward Thomas, transportation operations supervisor at Stanford Parking and Transportation Services (P&TS), presented the Marguerite route changes proposed for early 2011 and discussed the proposal with council members.

The changes are projected to reduce fuel consumption by 30,000 gallons and distance traveled by 10,000 miles over one year, with expected implementation around Jan. 19, Thomas said.

Thomas emphasized that the changes are not only an attempt to cut spending, but also to reduce route redundancy and congestion. The changes would alter 11 of the current 15 routes, and most would be minor, although more extensive changes are planned for the A line, B line, C line, Midnight Express and Shopping Express routes.

Raj Bhandari M.S. ’10, the CEO of Stanford Student Enterprises, reported on construction progress of the new ASSU Student Store. The new outfit will be in Tresidder Student Union at the former site of the Ticket Office.

“The Jan. 3 deadline may be delayed a little because of flooring issues,” Bhandari said.

He said the store still plans to hold its annual Thanksgiving Sale.

Kelsei Wharton ‘12, ASSU vice president, reminded the council about events on campus related to Domestic Violence Awareness Month. He also discussed ways student government could increase Red Zone support at men’s and women’s basketball games, possibly through raffles or class competitions.

Mary Van der Hoven, doctoral student in earth sciences and the council’s Thanksgiving coordinator, announced the menu for graduate students’ Turkey Day. Van der Hoven said gravy, pumpkin pie and stuffing will all be homemade and wine will be offered to graduate students. Volunteers will be needed to assist with carding and distributing wristbands, she said.

Tsai closed the meeting by encouraging council members to participate in the “Rivals for Life” blood drive, to which 24 graduate students donated blood last year.

An ASSU joint legislative meeting is scheduled for Nov. 30, and the last meeting of winter quarter is set for Dec. 1.

Contact Kathleen Chaykowski at [email protected].