Maroon 5 at the Greek Theatre

Maroon 5 at the Greek Theatre
Maroon 5's charismatic frontman Adam Levine seduces the Greek Theatre crowd on Sunday night. (TAMER SHABANI/The Stanford Daily)

The number in Maroon 5 naturally refers to the five members in the group, but just one listen to pretty much any of their records makes it overwhelmingly obvious that the star is front man Adam Levine and his distinctive voice. The same applies to their live show – as soon as the Greek Theatre’s lights went down Sunday night, it was pretty clear the audience had bought tickets to the Adam show.

Maroon 5 at the Greek Theatre
(TAMER SHABANI/The Stanford Daily)

Levine sashayed onstage, launching into the bouncy funk of “Misery,” the first single off their latest record “Hands All Over.” The ditty fell in the same group as their many groovy throwbacks, including their most disco-heavy one, “Makes Me Wonder,” which they reserved for the encore.

What Maroon 5 is great at doing is maintaining an effortless, organic feel to their live show. The transitions between songs were seamless jams between the boys, like the smooth switch from the opening song to “If I Never See Your Face Again.” The melodies fell together like natural, complementary puzzle pieces. The audience didn’t even realize one song had ended until Levine began singing the lyrics for the next one.

Maroon 5’s music videos paint the quintet as young men driven by gorgeous models and glamour – check the clips for “Wake Up Call” or “Makes Me Wonder.” And Levine fully embodies those ideals in his stage presence. It was a little ridiculous watching him languorously strut around the stage, making love to his microphone, but what else can we expect from a man whose romantic dalliances are no strangers to the tabloids?

Levine’s larger-than-life stage persona, however, didn’t affect the quality of the music. The moody blue lights during “Secret” matched its seductive indolence, before segueing into a cover of Tina Turner’s “What’s Love Got to Do with It.” Levine’s voice never faltered, even when he went up into falsetto. His extra gentle handling of “Won’t Go Home Without You” made it an even more melancholy serenade. The agitated, head-bobbing beat of “Wake Up Call” and aggressive, blistering (relatively speaking) guitar of “Shiver” proved Maroon 5 can do more than just saccharine ballads.

Although they’re sometimes dismissed as an overrated pop outfit – specifically one that stole the Best New Artist Grammy from a more deserving Kanye West – Maroon 5 is still pretty ballsy in the sense that they’re one of the few current pop bands that can really pull off the blue-eyed soul thing. Their cover of Al Green’s R&B classic “Let’s Stay Together” didn’t seem out of place at all. They followed it up with a gentle, stripped down rendition of “She Will Be Loved.” The slower song and a couple of other tunes in Maroon 5’s repertoire have become regular fixtures on adult contemporary radio stations, which explained the surprisingly large number of older folk interspersed between the excited young women.

Maroon 5 at the Greek Theatre
(TAMER SHABANI/The Stanford Daily)

Of course, since the show was on a Sunday, Levine was all but forced to make a bad pun about this “fine Sunday evening” before closing out the night with a highly satisfying “Sunday Morning.”

While promoting “Hands All Over,” Levine has stated in interviews that this may be his final foray with Maroon 5. He doesn’t have much left to gain from the group – their newest album didn’t even debut at number one, knocked down a spot by Zac Brown Band. Levine can do much better than the merely pleasant tunes found there, and he seems to know it too. Unlike most bands with a new record to push, out of their 14-song set, Maroon 5 only performed three songs from their latest record. The wealth of old favorites was a reminder of just how good the band could be and how most of their new tracks like “Give a Little More” are adequate at best.

In sum, the L.A. band put on a great show – not as Maroon 5 but as Adam Levine and his backing band. Levine visibly enjoyed the attention, and the crowd did too. But there just wasn’t a real give and take between Levine and the rest of the band. He filled most songs with his soulful vocals and kept the rest of the good stuff for himself, like a particularly sizzling guitar solo on “Shiver.”

Perhaps this will be Maroon 5’s last hurrah before Levine kicks off his inevitable solo career. If so, at least it was a darn fun one.