The Daily brief: Aug. 31, 2010

Aug. 31, 2010, 10:55 p.m.

Stem Cells | Federal stem cell research rulings put Stanford researchers’ work in uncertain waters. A recent injunction puts a hold on federal funding for human embryonic stem cell research.

The Daily brief: Aug. 31, 2010
Bradley Klahn '12 (Stanford Daily File Photo)

Cardinal Tennis | Stanford representatives—Bradley Klahn ’12, Hilary Barte ’11 and Lindsay Burdette ’10—receive wild cards into the first round of the US Open.

High-Speed Fail | Palo Alto may declare having “no confidence” in the High Speed Rail Authority’s rail plan. The plan has faced opposition in local cities in past months as city councils and residents debate the plan’s feasibility and logistical details.

Exports | President Obama and this Administration are to be commended for taking a serious look at the changes that are needed in our export control policies to make them more effective in the global business, research, and education environment of the 21st century.” President Hennessy and Robert M. Berdahl, President of the American Association of Universities supported the White House’s recent pledge to reform the nation’s system of export controls.

Water Express | New technology speeds up water filtering processes.

Follow The Daily | Facebook, Twitter, daily e-mail digest.

Ellen Huet is currently a senior staff writer at The Daily; she joined the staff in fall 2008 and served one volume as managing news editor in fall and early winter of 2010-2011. Reach her at ehuet at stanford dot edu. Fan mail and sternly worded complaints are equally welcome.