M. Tennis: Klahn earns U.S. Open berth

Aug. 19, 2010, 12:57 p.m.

Following his NCAA singles title this past May, Stanford sophomore Bradley Klahn has won a wild-card berth to enter the men’s singles draw of the U.S. Open tennis tournament, held from Aug. 30 to Sept. 12 in Flushing, N.Y. Klahn won’t know his first-round opponent until the U.S. Tennis Association (USTA), which hosts the Open, releases the tournament draws and schedule on Aug. 24.

M. Tennis: Klahn earns U.S. Open berth
(Stanford Daily File Photo)

Historically, the NCAA singles champion has a strong chance at receiving a wild-card entry into the Open. Other entries are won through victories on the USTA circuit.

Although Klahn will win some prize money as a result of his participation, taking the prize would result in a forfeiture of his remaining two years of NCAA eligibility.

Last spring, Klahn took home his first NCAA singles title by defeating Louisville’s Austen Childs, 6-1, 6-2. It marked the first time a Stanford men’s tennis player had won the title since Alex Kim in 2000.

In addition to Klahn, the USTA announced six other wild-card winners yesterday: Americans James Blake (a former top-five player), Jack Sock, Ryan Sweeting and Donald Young, Australian Carsten Ball and Frenchman Guillaume Rufin. A final wild card will be awarded to the winner of a playoff being held this week in Boca Raton, Fla.

Kabir Sawhney is currently a desk editor for the News section. He served as the Managing Editor of Sports last volume.