Werk, Werk, Werk: The House of Devin Lauren Brings Voguing to the Stanford Stage

Beautiful moves, dirty words and fluorescent tutus–“The Voguette” is a show unlike any other.

Temoc Peranda ’10, a.k.a Devin Lauren, has spent the past year researching voguing for his thesis in Comparative Studies in Race and Ethnicity, and his work culminates in this weekend’s performance of “The Voguette.”

Werk, Werk, Werk: The House of Devin Lauren Brings Voguing to the Stanford StageThe show features The House of Devin Vindiction Dance Company, an intimate collective of Stanford-affiliated dancers who learned the art of voguing under Peranda’s guidance. Voguing is a type of dance with roots in black and Latin queer subculture. This unique art form is primarily practiced in the gay inner-city ballroom and club scene, and it involves diva-esque posing and extravagantly expressive body movements.

In one word, “Voguette” is wild. A fabulous soundtrack and funky set–shimmery chandeliers and super stilletos hang from the ceiling–serves as the ideal backdrop to the madness that is voguing. Bodies fly across the stage; jumping, dropping, and posing to the beat. It’s all about fierceness–the dancers exude a sort of positive intensity and self-love unique to the world of voguing. Peranda believes that the significance of the show lies in the dancers’ performances of identity; each dancer discovers himself or herself through the movements of the body. It’s this sort of perspective on the performance that leads Peranda to call his work “academic art”–he explores the performativity of voguing as well as the intersectionality of identities through the creation of his art. But don’t let all that performance theory get you down; in the end, “The Voguette” is all about fabulous, fierce, flamboyant fun.

According to Peranda, this is the third time voguing has been performed on a stage. It has been extracted from the inner-city club scene and re-contextualized on the sanitized stage of Prosser Studio for all of Stanford to see. Thanks to the House of Devin Vindiction, you can enjoy the club without the club. No sweat, no nudity and no cover charge.

“The Voguette” is a theatrical extravaganza that is both elegant and electrifying. You can feel the fierceness flowing as the dancers strike their poses and get done up in drag. In the words of Temoc Peranda, “It’s a show you need to see to understand.”