Haas Center appoints new faculty directors

Professors Larry Diamond ’73 MA ’78 Ph.D. ’80 and Julie Kennedy Ph.D. ’92 have been named the new faculty directors for the Haas Center for Public Service. They will assume the roles in September. Diamond and Kennedy succeed Gabriel Garcia, professor of medicine, who is closing out his fourth year in the position.

Diamond, a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution and the Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies, is also a professor by courtesy of sociology and political science, teaching courses in democratic development. In addition, he serves on the Haas Center’s faculty steering committee and as chair of the FSI-Haas International Public Service Advisory Committee.

Kennedy joins Diamond on the FSI-Haas International Public Service Advisory Committee. She is a senior lecturer at the Woods Institute for the Environment as well as in the earth systems program at the School of Earth Sciences.

Kennedy and Diamond won the Dinkelspiel Award for outstanding service to undergraduate education in 2002 and 2007, respectively.