Six of 55 special fees groups fail; $1.7M approved

Out of 55 total requests for special fees funding from voluntary student organizations in this year’s election, 49 were approved by voters during this weekend’s election.

Six groups did not receive approval for special fees funding: The Stanford Progressive, Stanford Students in Entertainment, Stanford Cardinal Broadcasting Network, the Stanford Chaparral, the Society for International Affairs at Stanford and the Stanford Journal of International Relations.

All six groups requested undergraduate-only special fees. They each received more than 50 percent “yes” votes, but not from the 15 percent of total undergraduates required for approval.

Requests for undergraduate special fees from 43 other groups passed, as did the six requests for joint fees, which required approval from both undergraduate and graduate voters.

The five undergraduate groups to receive the most “yes” votes (as opposed to “no” or “abstain”) were: Alternative Spring Break (2,277), the Sexual Health Peer Resource Center (2,149), Student Initiated Courses (2,009), the Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band (1,997) and The Bridge Peer Counseling Center (1,953).

The special fees process earned greater attention this year after the Senate Appropriations Committee sought to reduce per-student special fees costs and the quarterly refund rate. Accordingly, the Senate passed a bill to essentially end the ability of groups to automatically request a ten-percent increase in special fees from year to year.

Many student groups then petitioned to be on the ballot with amounts greater than those recommended by the Appropriations Committee. Most who petitioned found success on Saturday; according to Committee Chair Anton Zietsman ’12, with the exception of the Society for International Affairs at Stanford, all groups that petitioned for more than the recommended amount passed.

Three of the six organizations rejected for funding were publications, which have a potential safety net for funding through the ASSU Publications Board. Co-Director Devin Banerjee ’11 wrote in an e-mail to The Daily that the Board would consider funding applications from the groups. Banerjee is a senior staff writer for The Daily and its former editor in chief.

In total, voters approved requests for $1,748,356.68 in special fees funding for the 2010-11 year.

A version of this story originally appeared online on April 10.