RT @catzdong: Relevant: @Stanford_Daily op-ed by @CoryBooker published in 1992 shortly after the controversial Rodney King verdict http://t…: 23 hours ago, The Stanford Daily
Maya Krishnan '15 and Emily Witt '15 are 2015 Rhodes Scholars! That brings the @Stanford Rhodes count to 114.: 4 days ago, The Stanford Daily
RT @TSDArtsAndLife: John Barton talks to the @Stanford_Daily about Stanford's future "trans-disciplinary" Architectural Design program. htt…: 6 days ago, The Stanford Daily

BRIEF: Freshman is guest of First Lady at Union Address

During President Obama’s State of the Union Address, one Stanford freshman was among the 27 specially invited guests to sit near First Lady Michelle Obama.

Gabriela Farfan ’13, a National Hispanic Scholar originally from Madison, Wis., was among the youngest guests seated near Mrs. Obama on Wednesday night. Farfan is currently pursuing a degree in geology and has spent long hours researching gemstones, earning her “one of the top awards in the Intel Science Talent Search,” according to a White House press release from the Office of the Press Secretary.

Granted an independent research scholarship, Farfan researched “why certain gemstones appear to change color when viewed from different angles — a finding that directly affects the gemstone industry and may have applications in the nano and materials sciences,” continued the press release.