The Daily stands in solidarity with the Black community. Read our editors’ statement.

Proposition 4: Children’s hospitals

Summary: Proposition 4 raises $1.5 billion in bonds for 13 children’s hospitals. The money would go toward expanding their facilities and upgrading their medical equipment to meet increasing demand.

Public debate:

• For: California Children’s Hospital Association support Prop 4, so that state hospitals can acquire the latest medical equipment and provide specialized pediatric care.
  • Against: Former president of the League of Women Voters of Los Angeles claimed that the proposition “bypasses the legislative process” because it primarily benefits the very hospitals that are funding the “yes” campaign. The campaign in support of Prop 4 has gained more than $10 million in donations, with the most generous donations from children’s hospitals.

Campus opinions:

Stanford College Republicans expressed skepticism that the funding would be used efficiently. “The children’s hospitals in question, including Stanford’s own, already are doing very well financially and compensate their executives very generously,” SCR stated.

Stanford Children’s Health supports voting Yes on Prop 4. The health care network runs the Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital, which is eligible for $135 million in funding from Prop 4. It plans to use this funding to upgrade its neonatal intensive care unit into “a state-of-the-art facility designed to support some of the hospital’s most vulnerable patients and their families.” If Prop 4 does not pass, this plan will be pushed back several years until the hospital finds another source of funding.