Accessibility statementSkip to main content
We need your help: All banner donations made today will support The Daily's new staff financial aid program.
Learn more and donate.

How does The Daily’s Opinions Section work?

What work does your section do?

The Opinions section writes op-eds or themed columns about anything and everything, with a slight focus on student life and university policy. We also edit and accept letters to the editor or the community.

What does joining your section entail? How much work does it look like per week?

Joining our section means writing op-eds at a schedule of your choosing: weekly, biweekly, monthly or quarterly. We also have a fun weekly meeting where we brainstorm/share pitches and discuss current affairs. The time commitment depends on how regularly you write: it could be as low as 1 hour a week or as much as five hours if you are writing and editing a piece on a given week.

Also, every volume we also create a cohort experience for about 5-10 columnists. Columnists might have additional programming and publish more regularly, so the time commitment is somewhat higher (perhaps 3-5 hours per week).

When does your section meet?

Our section meets on Sunday evening at 7 p.m. PT. The meeting is not mandatory. If you cannot make this time, you can also set up an appointment with one of the four desk editors or two managing editors to talk through an idea or just get to know us!

How can people join your section?

To join our section, please email the Managing Editors at [email protected] and let us know what you’d like to write about and a little bit about yourself. Prior experience in journalism or opinion writing is not needed — we are here to help you develop any op-ed writing skills! 

Who can people contact with questions about your section or to join?

To join or if you have questions about Opinions, you can contact the Managing Editors of Opinions Sharon Du ([email protected]) and Megha Parwani ([email protected]).

What could a writer stand to gain by joining your section? (I.e. skills, jobs, whatever)

• Persuasive writing skills, including the ability to synthesize research, structure an argument and deal with objections
  • Awareness of global, national and campus policy/politics and culture
  • A space to reflect on the world around you during your time at Stanford
  • A platform from which to share an important message or insight and change the way Stanford affiliates and Daily readers think about a topic. In the past, we’ve been a forum for community members to demand accountability from the University administration and one another, and for activist and advocacy groups to share their work with a larger audience.
  • Friends who are opinionated, humble, and love to talk, write and change what’s happening in the world around them

How can people submit opinion articles?

We welcome freelance pieces. To submit an op-ed or letter for publication, please email a draft to [email protected] We should get back to you within 1-2 days.