Accessibility statementSkip to main content
We need your help: All banner donations made today will support The Daily's new staff financial aid program.
Learn more and donate.

How does The Daily’s News Section work?

The following questions were answered by The Daily’s Vol. 259 News Managing Editors Camryn Pak, Kate Selig and Emma Talley.

What work does your section do?

The news section covers all things breaking and timely happening on campus and in the surrounding community. News is broken up into four larger content areas called desks: Campus Life, University, Science and Technology and Academics. However, don’t feel constrained by your desk! We will publish pretty much anything that’s cool and has a Stanford angle. 

What does joining your section entail? How much work does it look like per week?

You can commit as little or as much time as you want — we have writers who cover three stories a week and writers who contribute once every few months. At minimum, we do expect attendance at weekly desk meetings, which last somewhere between half an hour to an hour and take place on weekends. 

When does your section meet?

Each News desk meets on a weekly basis at different times:

Campus Life:
When: Sundays at 5:30 p.m. PT
Where: Contact us for the link!

SciTech: 
When: Sundays at 11 a.m. PT
Where: Contact us for the link!

University
When: Sundays at 5 p.m. PT
Where: Contact us for the link!

Academics
When: Sundays at 4 p.m. PT
Where: Contact us for the link!

How can people join your section?

Reach out to the three managing editors via email at kselig ‘at’ stanforddaily.com, etalley ‘at’ stanforddaily.com and cpak ‘at’ stanforddaily.com. We’ll send along a mandatory training video, get you set up on The Daily’s Slack and connect you with the desk editors.

Who can people contact with questions about your section or to join?

Reach out to the managing editors via email.

What could a writer stand to gain by joining your section?

Newswriting teaches important and transferable skills like learning to write efficiently, synthesize ideas and conduct research and interviews. By joining news, you will learn time management (everything has a deadline). You will be placed in a desk that covers topics that align with your interests, where you’ll meet with fellow reporters every week and make new friends. There are also many professional reporters that come and speak with us about news writing, so joining news is a great way to build relationships and establish connections with professionals! 

How can people submit freelance articles?

At this time, we are not accepting freelance articles. Those interested in writing a story for news should reach out to the news editors so that we can onboard you as a member of the team.