Apply to join The Stanford Daily

Welcome, future Daily staffers! 

Click here to apply.

Some key dates for our recruitment process:

Saturday, Sept. 15: Our application goes live

Thursday, Sept. 20: Pick up our first magazine edition on your move-in day!

Thursday, Sept. 27: Meet the editors at our Open House. 8:00-10:00 p.m. at The Stanford Daily’s House (456 Panama Mall).

Friday: Sept. 28: Catch us at Activities Fair from 12:00 to 4:00! We’ll be tabling in White Plaza.

Sunday, Sept. 30: Applications due at 11:59 p.m.!

Letter from the Editor-in-Chief and Executive Editor 

Dear future Stanford Daily staffers:

Welcome to The Daily’s application portal! Here, you’ll find information about the sections and teams that comprise our staff.

We publish a newspaper every weekday and produce two magazines each quarter (online as well as in print). We’re also responsible for The Quad, Stanford’s yearbook, which is distributed each June. To make all of this happen, we need a team of staffers — writers, photographers, graphic designers, web developers, business strategists and more — with diverse interests and skill sets.

Our diversity transcends the work we do. Sure, some Daily staffers study communication and English and political science, but we are also computer scientists and electrical engineers and economists. Some of us were editors of our high school papers, but many of us never even considered journalism before coming to Stanford. Our staff includes freshmen as well as grad students. Our staffers also vary in their time commitments to The Daily; some contribute an article or two per quarter, while others attend virtually every production night. We celebrate these differences too, as they bring the broadest swath of Stanford community perspectives to the paper.

No matter your background experience, your area of study or your other campus involvements, we want you to feel empowered to craft a Daily experience that’s most fulfilling (and fun!) for you. This paper is already yours as much as it is ours.

Beyond our work, most staffers say it’s the strong sense of community that keeps them coming back to The House. Amidst the production computers, the newsroom chatter, the deadlines and the free Treehouse pizza, you will also find family.

Our application will be posted on Sept. 15, and it will be due by Sunday, Sept. 30 at 11:59 p.m. Those who apply by the 30th are guaranteed a spot on the paper, though we evaluate your application when determining section placements. In the meantime, feel free to read more about our sections and teams on this webpage.

Also, we encourage you all to acquaint yourselves with the work we do here at The Daily — read our paper online here, and look at our magazine pieces here!

We hope you’ll join us as we begin to write the next chapter of The Daily’s history. And we can’t wait to meet you.

Daily love,

Courtney Douglas and Josh Wagner

Vol. 254 Editor-in-Chief and Executive Editor

If you have any questions about the paper, contact Courtney at ccdouglas ‘at’ stanford.edu or Josh at jwagner4 ‘at’ stanford.edu.  

Managing editors’ contact information is listed in each section’s tab!

The News Section

Google defines news as “newly received or noteworthy information, especially about recent or important events.” In fact, the etymology of the term “newspaper” literally comes from two words — “news” and “paper” — smashed together, because it consists of just that: news on paper. Pretty cool, right?

Anyways, if you’ve ever wanted the opportunity to be an active stakeholder in the Stanford community — whether you’re a fresh-eyed frosh who doesn’t know the difference between CoHo and FroSoCo, or a world-weary senior who knows more buildings named after John Arrillaga than you do family members’ birthdays — then writing for News is the spot for you. Whether it’s unveiling the latest scandal, covering a world-famous campus speaker or probing campus issues, the News section has it all.

Think about it like this: without news, a newspaper is just paper. And no one likes paper!

— Brian Contreras, Julia Ingram and Holden Foreman, Managing Editors of News

Contact Brian at brianc42 ‘at’ stanford.edu; Holden at hs4man21 ‘at’ stanford.edu; and Julia at jmingram ‘at’ stanford.edu.

The A&L Team

The sculptor Marcel Duchamp once declared that “art is not about itself, but the attention we bring to it.” Would you like to bring attention to theatre, film, music and culture at Stanford? Join the Stanford Daily’s Arts & Life staff. Our writers cover events both on campus and around the Bay Area. They attend concerts, private screenings of blockbusters and new plays and musicals. They read the latest bestsellers and enjoy meals at popular restaurants. They have the opportunity to speak with the creators of new works and share their opinions on compelling classics. They write about their passions and shape campus conversation on the arts.

We welcome everyone, whether you have been writing about the arts for years or would just like to learn how to structure a review. Whether you want to become the next Roger Ebert or simply want to bring attention to a few of your favorite things, we’d love to have you on our team.

— Olivia Popp and Amir Abou-Jaoude, Managing Editors of Arts and Life

Contact Olivia at oliviapopp ‘at’ stanford.edu and Amir at amir2 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

The Opinions Section

We don’t care about feigning some unbiased, authoritative voice of truth — we’re just interested in what you really think. Sure, news will give you the latest on the day-to-day, but what does that really mean, and what should you make of it? Answering these questions is where the fun begins.

After all, the Ops section is here to state bluntly what other sections can’t. So, if debating with fellow writers over the latest university affairs, being the first to hear the hottest Stanford gossip and having a hand in choosing what our campus talks about for weeks to come sounds like fun —send us an application.

We all have opinions, but only some of us will have the opportunity to publish them in the pages of the Stanford Daily — Will that be you?

— Anna-Sofia Lesiv, Managing Editor of Opinions

Contact Anna Sofia at alesiv ‘at’ stanford.edu.

The Grind Team

Are you funny? Do you have a lot of opinions? Do you like writing in a low-pressure, fun environment? Do you, in fact, like writing about whatever you want? Are you at least somewhat sort of interesting?

If you answered “yes” or “these feel like leading questions, but yes” to any or all of the above, The Grind is the place for you. We cover most everything about campus life, usually in the form of short, opinionated listicles or long-form personal essays — all with a unique sort of pizzazz and spirit that makes The Grind one of the Daily’s most well-read sections.

— Emily Schmidt, Managing Editor of The Grind

Contact Emily at egs1997 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

The Sports Section

Sports, sports, sports! Quick reasons why you should join the Daily’s most prolific section! If you have always dreamed of getting sports journalism experience, come down to sports! We are the backbone of the newspaper, publishing 5-6 articles each day in peak seasons! Write multiple times a week! Get published every single day! It doesn’t matter how much you currently know, if you have even an inkling of inclination to write about any sport under the sun, we’ll help you out and make it happen! Learn how to cover live sporting events, write previews and recaps, interview Stanford athletes and coaches, and achieve your dream of not cheering in the press box! Get cool media credentials and sit courtside at Maples! Write a feature on an interesting sports story, illustrating an inspiring personal narrative to the whole world! Become a columnist and tell ME what YOU think about stuff! Crazy! Sports is the perfect place to find like-minded sports nuts to watch Stanford football games with, grab lunch at Arrillaga with, or relax with late nights in the Daily building! Come build a great community with us and join Sports!

— Bobby Pragada and Laura Sussman, Managing Editors of Sports

Contact Bobby at bpragada ‘at’ stanford.edu and Laura at laura111 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Copy Team

“The Stanford Daily” is one of the most commonly-read publications on campus if not the most. With a staff of over two-hundred students, joining the Daily means join a community that you can call Home. We have; free pizza, a cool office-space, and couches far superior to those in old union. No matter you passion or your talent, the Daily has something for everyone.

If the grammatical and syntactical errors in the above sentences were maddening for you to read, then copy is the section for you! Copy editors’ jobs are twofold and involve both editing other people’s articles as well as helping lay out the print paper. If you self-identify as a grammar Nazi, enjoy eating free pizza whilst editing and are okay with not using the Oxford comma (I know — it’s hard to part with), then apply today!

— Head Copy Editor Erin Perrine

Contact Erin at eperrine ‘at’ stanford.edu.

The Multimedia Team

Have you always wanted to join the Daily, but never seen a place for yourself?

Have an interest for video, podcasts, motion graphics, or other forms of new media?

Want to join of group of individuals excited to be on the brink of the newest form of media?

Then the Daily Multimedia team is the place for you.

As one of the newest teams at the Daily, were excited to bring in new people, with ideas on what they would like to see in the ways we cover news. Through use of our equipment, you’ll be covering events, places, and people on Stanford campus, trying to engage them in ways they haven’t seen before. We can’t wait to meet you!

— Multimedia Head Nik Wesson

Contact Nik at swes1024 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

The Graphics Team

Do you enjoy illustration or design? Ever wonder how a magazine is put together? Want to up your visual communication skills?

Join The Daily Magazine’s Graphics Squad!

All three parts of The Daily’s team work together to produce a bi-quarterly magazine to supplement the daily newspaper. If you want to join us, no prior experience necessary! We’ll teach you how to create a layout from scratch in Adobe InDesign, manipulate and perfect a photo in Adobe Photoshop, creating infographics in Adobe Illustrator, and craft sleek, interactive data visualisations in Tableau, the industry standard for design.

Whether you’re more interested in the layout, artistic, or graphics side, we have a place for you! The Graphics Team is designed to help you grow as a designer and develop relationships with other editors and Daily staffers. Through weekly meetings, training sessions with editors, and social events, you’ll soon be a design expert.

Claire Wang, Magazine Editor, and Josh Wagner, Executive Editor (and former Graphics Editor)

Contact Claire Wang at clwang32 ‘at’ stanford.edu and Josh at jwagner4 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

The Yearbook Team

The Stanford Experience™, it’s different for each and every one of us. At Stanford, there is only one project that attempts to combine all of these experiences and memories into one single object: the yearbook. Working on The 2019 Quad Yearbook is an opportunity to define your unique experience of life at this university while also developing your skills and talents as a photographer, a graphic designer, and a writer. This is a hands-on project where your creative talent and your voice take center stage, because ultimately, this book is about you.

When you look back 10, 20, 40 years from now, this yearbook will be the representation of your Stanford Experience™, come and make it a good one.

— Arianna Lombard ’18, Director of Alumni Relations and Special Projects

Contact Arianna at alumni ‘at’ stanforddaily.com.  

The Tech Team

Things we do include full-stack web development for our website and developing our mobile app with React Native, designing the graphics and UI/UX for both our website and app, and working with data analytics and visualizations to make great stories. And we are open to new ideas or technologies to engage our readers around campus and throughout the world. Join the tech team to work with talented engineers and designers on tech projects with real impact!

— Ashwin Ramaswami, Chief Technical Officer

Contact Ashwin at ashwin ‘at’ stanforddaily.com

The Photography Team

Are you interested in photography?

Do you want your photos to be seen by 8,000+ people?

Do you want access to events with speakers such as Hillary Clinton and Jill Biden?

Do you want to experience the stressful but IMMENSELY rewarding journalistic experience of putting out a DAILY newspaper but then think to yourself “what am I thinking I can’t write”?

Join The Daily’s Photography section!

(Trust us on that last one — why they make the Photography Managing Editors write blurbs we’ll never know. We’re not part of any text-producing sections for a reason.)

(Also, you can totally be in Photography and a text-producing section if you want!)

Other stuff that you can also do as part of Photography:

• Access our equipment and photo studio
  • Pursue photojournalism with photo series in our magazine
  • Be part of a group who cares about photography and the importance of visuals in journalism, and want to make changes that reflect this in The Daily

Take a shot and apply to Photog!

— Khuyen Le and Andrew Solano, Managing Editors of Photography

Contact Khuyen at khuyenle ‘at’ stnaford.edu and Andrew at aesolano ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Discussion about this page