Frequently Asked Questions: Summer Internship Program

This page answers some of the common queries about The Daily’s summer internship program. If you find that your question is not covered below, feel free to contact Holden Foreman at hs4man21 ‘at’ stanford.edu or Erin Woo at erinkwoo ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Program expectations

Do I need to have prior journalism experience to participate?

No! While many of our participants have worked for their high school newspapers or journals, you definitely don’t need prior newspaper or journalistic experience to apply. We will be selecting applicants based on four criteria: quality of writing, demonstrated commitment to and enthusiasm for the program, an intuition for news and past writing experience (in that order). The first two criteria will be weighted much more heavily since we hope to further develop the latter two traits through the program itself.

Do I have to attend every workshop?

Workshop attendance is mandatory for all but one excused absence. It is in your best interest to attend every workshop to get the most out of the program. As a further incentive to attend, we’ll also be providing dinner at each of the workshops!

What will I be doing as a summer intern?

Interns write anywhere from several times a week to once every two weeks. How often you contribute will depend on your writing experience and the types of stories you choose take. On average, participants produce one story every 1-1.5 weeks. The article-writing process includes conducting research through phone or in-person interviews and working directly with one or two editors to receive feedback and make revisions. Assignments may also include attending on-campus events if this is something the intern is interested in.

We also expect participants to develop their own sense of news over the quarter, and we encourage interns to pitch their own story ideas to editors.

Logistics

How often does The Daily publish during the summer?

The Daily publishes twice a week during the summer and only online.

Why is there a program fee?

Over the last few years, The Daily has witnessed a growing interest in its summer internship program. In order to keep the program sustainable, we are moving to a salary system instead of a volunteer-based system for our summer staff members. As a result, we are asking that each participant contribute a small amount toward program costs, including staff compensation and weekly food costs.

Do you offer scholarships?

We have a limited number of scholarship spots available for the program. The purpose of these scholarships is to enable students who may not otherwise have the opportunity to participate in the internship. We will be reaching out to specific institutions and counselors for recommendations on prospective scholarship applicants, but please contact us directly if you have further questions about scholarship availability.

Does The Daily have equipment/technology I can use?

The Daily office has about half a dozen computers that participants can use during office hours and under the supervision of our full-time business staff. Office hours will be held during business hours (9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays) and determined based on demand. As a result, interns must notify Daily staff in advance of coming in to use the equipment and must sign in and out of the office upon arrival/departure.

What hours can interns be present in The Daily office?

Each weekly workshop will start at 7 p.m. and will last until 9 p.m. Editors will stay in the office for an additional hour to help answer questions and work with participants one-on-one, but all students must be out of the building after 10 p.m. Interns are also welcome to work in The Daily office during office hours (see above).

What are your refund/cancellation policies policies?

After being notified of your acceptance into the program, interns will have until May 26 at 11:59 p.m. to commit to participating. This will involve mailing The Daily all necessary forms(Intern Code of ConductProgram Waiver, Medical Emergency and Photo Release), as well as the $500 program fee (checks only). Following the May 26 deadline, we cannot guarantee your spot in the program if we have not received the necessary documents and fee.

Should you no longer be able to commit to the program after submitting your documents and program fee, students will have until June 1 to cancel commitment. Cancellation requests should be sent via email to coo@stanforddaily.com. If a cancellation request is received prior to the June 1 deadline, a full refund will be returned to the student via mail. The Daily cannot guarantee refunds for cancellations following the June 1 deadline.