The Daily stands in solidarity with the Black community. Read our editors’ statement.

Stanford Daily Fall Externship Program

Our application is now live. We will accept submissions until November 20, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time.

“The Daily externship was an inspiring experience that taught me about possibilities in journalism I had not thought of before. The workshops and activities helped me hone my reporting skills, and the speakers and panelists opened my eyes to the exciting, innovative ways journalists are telling stories that impact their communities.”

— Patricia Wei ’23, current Stanford Daily staffer and winter 2019 extern

Thanks you for your interest in The Stanford Daily Fall Externship Program! Here’s all the information you need about the program and how to apply.

WHO we are: The Daily has been Stanford’s only daily publication since 1892, as we print five days a week during the school year. Our website, stanforddaily.com, is a hub for Stanford students, alumni and community members.

For the past many years, The Daily has been proud to help high school students grow and develop their skills in many aspects of journalism, and we’re excited to provide you with this opportunity.

WHO we’re looking for: high school students with an interest in and enthusiasm about journalism and working at a college newspaper.

WHAT you’ll participate in: a student-run, day-long externship program that will give you a taste of collegiate journalism.

Over the course of the program, participants will develop a sense for what is newsworthy in academia, how a good news article is structured and what ethical principles are used in reporting, especially at a college setting. 

Up to 30 selected externs will complete activities in groups of 6, and each group will be paired with 2 Stanford Daily staffers to foster an intimate learning environment. Workshops will teach externs skills for identifying stories, covering them well and covering them ethically. A breaking news simulation will give externs the chance to show off what they learned and receive feedback. Near the end of the day, a panel of professional journalists and Stanford faculty will accept externs’ questions.

Each extern will be paired with a Daily staffer who will serve as a mentor to that extern for the rest of the 2019-20 school year. Mentors will be required to communicate with their mentees via email at least three times per Stanford academic quarter, or as long as the mentee is interested, and a survey will be released at the end of each quarter as a quality assessment. 

WHEN: This program will run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 1. We expect our participants to commit to the entirety of the day’s programming, but we will offer exceptions for participants with religious, medical or other accessibility concerns.

WHERE: Our official address is 456 Panama Mall, Stanford, CA. However, note that our building is in the interior of campus, so it is difficult to drive directly to our building. You’ll want to park in the Tresidder Union visitor lot – parking is free after 5 p.m. – and you can find our office using campus-map.stanford.edu (just search “Stanford Daily”).

PRICING: The program fee is $400. Lunch and snacks will be provided (taking dietary restrictions into account), and participants without a laptop may be accommodated if they reach out in advance.

A limited number of scholarship slots are available to students for whom the program fee presents a concern. Please reach out to [email protected]

Contact Holden Foreman at hs4man21 ‘at’ stanford.edu if you have any further questions.