Board of Directors

About

The Daily Board of Directors is a nine-person body, with five current students or recent graduates (the editor-in-chief, chief operating officer, chief revenue officer, editorial staffer at large and student at large) serving alongside four professionals, as outlined in the bylaws of The Stanford Daily Publishing Corporation. The four professional positions are faculty director, business director, journalism director and legal director. A Board Chair and Vice Chair are elected annually.

Meetings

The Stanford Daily’s Board of Directors meets monthly during the academic year and holds an annual retreat. Meetings are open to the public and are held at The Stanford Daily’s offices unless otherwise indicated. If you wish to attend, please email [email protected] in advance of your attendance.

Directors (FY2019-20)

Mary Liz McCurdy ’09 — Business Director, Board Chair

Mary Liz McCurdy has led partnership development across web, app and emerging platforms for several years at Google. Currently, she manages strategic business development for Health & Lifestyle Apps for Android & Google Play. Prior to Google, she served as the COO & VP of Sales at The Stanford Daily, helping The Daily successfully navigate profitability and transition the print-dependent business to explore digital, mobile and alternate revenue streams. She currently serves as the business member and Chair of the Board of Directors of The Stanford Daily. When she’s not reading The Daily or Googling, you can find Mary Liz running Campus Drive with her mini Aussie, as a nearby Stanford resident and a Stanford cross country alum.

Nicholas Thompson ’97 — Journalism Director

Nicholas Thompson is the editor in chief of Wired Magazine, a contributing editor for CBS News, and co-founder of The Atavist. Prior to joining Wired, he was the editor of The New Yorker’s website and a senior editor at the magazine. He is the author of the acclaimed book, “The Hawk and the Dove: Paul Nitze, George Kennan, and the History of the Cold War.” Stories he has assigned and edited have won major awards and been turned into major motion pictures, including the Academy Award–winning “Argo.” At Stanford, he was a columnist for The Daily and a contributor to the Chaparral. He was also Vice President of the ASSU which was, from time to time, at war with The Daily.

Andrew Bridges ’76 — Legal Director

Andrew Bridges is widely regarded as one of the country’s leading litigators on cutting-edge and high-stakes issues affecting technology, online platform and consumer oriented companies. Clients of all sizes seek him out not only to solve immediate business and litigation needs but also to help anticipate the potential policy implications and risks of new business models and technologies. A vigorous, skilled and strategic advocate in tough and important fights, Andrew has 30 years of complex litigation experience in Internet, technology, media, copyright, trademark, advertising, trade secret, consumer protection, unfair competition, licensing and other commercial law disputes. He also coordinates foreign litigation matters for innovators and companies around the globe and participates in global forums that shape policy developments affecting startups, technology companies, and online platforms.

Ann Grimes — Faculty Director

Ann Grimes serves as Associate Director of the Brown Institute for Media Innovation at Stanford. Previously, as the Wall Street Journal’s Deputy Bureau Chief in San Francisco, she oversaw coverage of Silicon Valley during the 1990s dot-com boom and bust. While at Dow Jones & Co., she helped develop digital media strategy. At the Washington Post, she served as a Deputy National Editor. Starting out, she covered social issues in Chicago and contributed regularly to The New York Times. She is the author of “Running Mates,” a book about the 1988 presidential campaign. Grimes previously served as Director of Stanford’s Graduate Program in Journalism and Professor of the Practice in Stanford’s Department of Communication. She also taught at UC Berkeley’s Graduate School of Journalism and was a John S. Knight Fellow at Stanford.

Julia Ingram ’21 — Editor in Chief

Julia Ingram is a junior majoring in English. She currently serves as the President and Editor in Chief of The Daily.

Arianna Lombard ’18 — Chief Operating Officer

Arianna Lombard currently serves as COO of The Daily after completing a degree in English at Stanford University.

Courtney Douglas ’20 — Editor At-Large

Courtney Douglas is a senior majoring in English. She has previously served as Editor in Chief and Managing Editor of News.

Kevin Li ’22 — Student At-Large

Kevin Li is a sophomore majoring in public policy and computer science. He is a member of the Wikipedia Foundation Communications Committee.

To request board minutes from more than one year ago, please contact the Chief Operating Officer at [email protected]

FY18-19

April 8, 2019
February 24, 2019
November 27, 2018
October 23, 2018
September 25, 2018
August 28, 2018

FY17-18

June 26, 2018
May 21, 2018
April 24, 2018
March 20, 2018