University offers new details about upcoming school of climate and sustainability

Stanford’s new climate and sustainability school will feature a sustainability accelerator and offer a specialized undergraduate degree, according to Board of Trustees chair Jeff Raikes ’80. 

Kam Moler, vice provost and dean of research, and Stephen Graham, dean of the School of Earth, Energy & Environmental Sciences, told the Board of Trustees about these developments at their Tuesday meeting.

According to Raikes, the accelerator will focus on matching research teams with external partners to fund and scale sustainability solutions. The new school will also offer a bachelor’s degree in sustainability management in partnership with the Graduate School of Business.

Raikes also said that the University is paying special attention to the way “climate change disproportionately impacts people who have historically been marginalized.”

That focus comes as Stanford’s Environmental Justice Working Group — made of students, staff and faculty — calls on the University to include environmental justice as one of the school’s core tenants.

“We really have to think about equity being at the center of what we are doing in the new school,” Raikes said.

Michael Espinosa '22 is majoring in international relations. He's the head of The Daily's social media team, and editor for the University beat and also occasionally writes for sports, arts, and The Grind. He's the biggest Taylor Swift fan at Stanford and the proudest New Yorker you will ever meet. Contact him at mespinosa 'at' stanforddaily.com.Benjamin Zaidel ’24 is a desk editor for the Daily interested in studying Bioengineering. A Los Angeles native, Benjamin believes that 68 degrees should count as sweater weather. Contact him at bzaidel 'at' stanforddaily.com.