Men’s tennis completes sweep of Arizona schools, routs Wildcats

On Sunday afternoon, Stanford men’s tennis (6-3, 3-0 Pac-12) made quick work of No. 17 Arizona (17-5, 4-1 Pac-12), winning 5-1. 

The Cardinal locked up the doubles point thanks to wins at the one and three spots. Senior Axel Geller and sophomore Neel Rajesh won 6-2 on court one while freshman Arthur Fery and junior Alexandre Rotsaert also had the same scoreline on court three. 

Singles play was highlighted by Fery taking down the No. 15 singles player in the country — Gustaf Strom — with a dominant showing, 6-1, 6-0. Geller won on the top court with a score of 7-6, 6-2. 

The only Cardinal player who lost his singles match was freshman Tristan Boyer, who had to retire in the second set. Rotsaert, senior Timothy Sah and fifth-year William Genesen were responsible for the other Stanford wins on courts three, five and six respectively. 

This win marked Stanford’s second straight win over a ranked opponent, and fourth straight victory overall. The team is rolling and set to host rival Cal on Tuesday at 1 p.m. PT.

Ells Boone is the former managing editor for the sports section, serving for Volumes 262 and 263. He is a senior from Virginia Beach, Virginia, studying communication. You can usually find him chasing after rebounds in Maples Pavilion or recording a podcast with Jibriel Taha. Contact him at eboone24 'at' stanforddaily.com.