Women’s tennis shuts out UC Davis, continues to roll

Stanford women’s tennis (2-0, 0-0 Pac-12) continues to dominate after handing UC Davis (2-3, 0-2 Big West) a 7-0 shutout on the Farm on Tuesday.

Like with its match against Santa Clara on Friday, the team started out by sweeping the doubles super set. Fifth-year Emily Arbuthnott and freshman Ana Geller made quick work of their opponents, winning their set 6-1. Junior Sara Choy and senior Janice Shin finished second with a 6-3 score, and the duo of senior Michaela Gordon and junior Niluka Madurawe followed close behind, winning 6-4.

In the singles portion of the match, Gordon dominated in the No. 1 spot, winning in straight sets without dropping a single game. Geller and Choy also both won their singles matches with a 6-0, 6-2 score. Shin was the last player to finish despite a similarly dominant 6-2, 6-1 result. Madurawe also put up a first set shutout in her singles match, but won her second set with a closer 7-5 score.

Arbuthnott was the only Cardinal to lose a singles set. After winning the first set against the Aggies’ Yana Gurevich 6-2, she suffered a 3-6 defeat but came back to win the tiebreaker set 10-5.

The team travels to Salt Lake City to face Utah (5-2) on Friday.

Michael Espinosa '22 is majoring in international relations. He's the head of The Daily's social media team, and editor for the University beat and also occasionally writes for sports, arts, and The Grind. He's the biggest Taylor Swift fan at Stanford and the proudest New Yorker you will ever meet. Contact him at mespinosa 'at' stanforddaily.com.