Baiocco posts career-high goals tally as women’s lax races past UC Davis

Senior attack Ali Baiocco set a new school record for goals in a game, netting eight, as No. 22 women’s lacrosse (1-0) defeated UC Davis (3-1) 16-9 in a high-scoring affair to open Stanford’s season. Fifth-year midfielder Mikaela Watson also helped lead the charge with three goals of her own. 

With the women’s soccer team playing a match in Cagan Stadium, the Cardinal lacrosse team got to play in Stanford Stadium to kick off the program’s first action in nearly a year. 

However, it was UC Davis that wasted little time getting started. The Aggies struck twice in the first three minutes: once through UC Davis senior Maddie Myers and the other, a result of a mishap from Cardinal sophomore goalkeeper Kara Rahaim. 

The opening Aggie run would do little to deter Stanford, as Baiocco would score the game’s next three goals in just a three-minute period to hand the Cardinal a 3-2 lead. With the goals, Baiocco extended her scoring streak to 27 consecutive games. Four minutes later, Watson sprinted past the UC Davis defenders toward the crease and found the back of the net. 

Stanford continued its dominant stretch of play as sophomore attack Jay Browne worked her way around the crease for Cardinal goal number five. Only a minute later, Baiocco tallied her fourth goal of the day, giving Stanford a comfortable 6-2 lead. 

The Aggies would then respond with a two-goal run of their own as junior Kendall Seifert and senior Sorana Larson cut the deficit to 6-4. 

Unfazed yet again, the Cardinal would end the first half on a three-goal run, with production from Watson, Baiocco and sophomore midfielder Anna Griffith. Stanford took a 9-4 lead into halftime. 

After the break, Baiocco continued her career outing with a nifty finish four minutes into play. The Cardinal would then score four goals in just three minutes, with Browne, Watson, senior attack Galen Lew and Baiocco again getting the credit. 

Despite being down 13-4, UC Davis responded with three unanswered goals to cut into Stanford’s lead. After a timeout from second-year head coach Danielle Spencer, Baiocco ended the Aggies’ short spree with her school-record eighth goal of the game. 

A minute later, freshman midfielder Ailish Kelly scored the first goal of her career after a quick cut to the crease. Browne recorded the assist for the Cardinal. 

With Stanford almost assured of an opening day victory, Seifert found the back of the net twice for UC Davis in the final five minutes to make the final score 16-9. 

The Cardinal were able to shake off the rust against a UC Davis team that had previously outscored its opponents this season 54-29. Stanford ended the game with 40 shots, 30 of which were on goal. The Aggies managed 26 attempts, with 15 on frame. 

The women’s lacrosse team will be back in action on Friday, Mar. 12 to take on Arizona State at home at 5 p.m. PT.

Ells Boone is the former managing editor for the sports section, serving for Volumes 262 and 263. He is a senior from Virginia Beach, Virginia, studying communication. You can usually find him chasing after rebounds in Maples Pavilion or recording a podcast with Jibriel Taha. Contact him at eboone24 'at' stanforddaily.com.