Women’s volleyball series canceled

A two-game series between Stanford women’s volleyball (1-3, 1-3 Pac-12) and No. 17 Washington State (6-2, 6-2 Pac-12), originally scheduled to be played on Friday and Sunday, has been canceled.

According to an email from Stanford Athletics spokesperson Regina Verlengiere, the team does not have a sufficient number of student-athletes available for competition “due to a combination of injuries and COVID-19-related issues within the Cardinal program.”

Stanford Athletics declined to comment further regarding the situation.

Senior outside hitter Meghan McClure, junior middle blocker Holly Campbell and junior opposite Mackenzie Fidelak — the team’s only upperclassmen — were unavailable for the first three games of the season due to COVID-19 protocols. Stanford dropped all three contests in their absence, which included two games against Arizona and a road match against Bay Area rival, Cal.

In McClure’s return on Feb. 14, which coincided with Stanford’s return to Maples Pavilion for its first home contest of the year, the Cardinal swept Cal for its lone win of the season thus far.

The Cardinal is looking to bring back its championship-caliber performance after starting on a three-loss streak.

Stanford is now scheduled to return to the road to face Oregon State in Corvallis on Feb. 26.

Jordan John Lee is a staff writer for the Sports section and occasionally writes for the News section of The Daily. Fresh off graduating with majors in Biology and Classics, he is a second-year master's student in Epidemiology and Clinical Research. From the 626, he has grown up watching his Los Angeles teams, the Dodgers and Lakers. His dream is to watch tennis at all four Grand Slam tournaments. Contact him at jjlee 'at' stanforddaily.com.