Weekend Roundup email newsletter: March 1 edition

Our Weekend Roundup is released on Sunday mornings during the school year and features an engaging rundown of the news from the previous week in the form of a briefing. It also includes editors’ picks from our Arts & Life, Grind, Opinions and Satire sections, as well as a list of upcoming events to watch out for in the next week. Subscribe here to receive emails like this.

The Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence, Italy

As the global count of confirmed coronavirus cases soars past 85,000, the number of cases reported on Stanford’s campuses remains at zero. Still, after Italy emerged as the center of the coronavirus epidemic, Stanford ended its Florence program early, giving students until today to leave the city.

The status of spring quarter study abroad programs is uncertain, too. The University has given itself until March 20 to decide whether to cancel the programs, though a Bing Overseas Studies Program (BOSP) director wrote that a decision to cancel could come sooner “depending upon what emerges in the coming weeks.”

Closer to home, Santa Clara County on Friday reported its third coronavirus case: its first without any known exposure to the virus, suggesting that coronavirus may be spreading from person to person in the Bay Area.

Finally, the University’s list of restricted travel countries has grown to include China, South Korea, Italy and Iran. Community members coming back from any of these countries are asked to self-isolate for 14 days, and students are also advised not to travel to Hong Kong, Macau and Japan over spring break.

The recently installed plaque bearing words from Chanel Miller's victim statement

After years of delay, the University on Monday installed a plaque engraved with words chosen by Chanel Miller: “You took away my worth, my privacy, my energy, my time, my safety, my intimacy, my confidence, my own voice, until today.”

Campus activists call the installation of the plaque, located in the contemplative garden that marks the spot of Miller’s 2015 sexual assault, long overdue. The plaque was initially proposed in 2016, when Miller’s victim impact statement went viral, but the University only agreed to use her chosen quote last November, following campus-wide pushback. Since then, a “sizing error” delayed the plaque’s installation until Monday, according to the University.

Meanwhile, students and faculty are criticizing the University’s selections for its Title IX external review committee: the members come from administrative and Title IX offices at other universities, which critics contend could lead to a biased review. In response, a University spokesperson told The Daily that Stanford believes it “can learn a great deal from those at other institutions.”

The women's swimming and diving team stands at the podium and holds up its Pac-12 title banner.

Women’s swim and dive secured its fourth Pac-12 championship in a row on Saturday night, completing the feat for the first time since winning 13 straight titles from 1987-99. Without a prominent star like Katie Ledecky, Simone Manuel or Ella Eastin to headline the team’s successes, six different swimmers and divers led the Cardinal to victory with seven individual championships.

Men’s basketball continued its win streak on Wednesday with a 70-62 revenge victory over Utah. The women were unable to do the same, dropping consecutive conference losses. On Monday, the Oregon Ducks beat Stanford by 8 points, and Arizona State stole an overtime victory on Friday night. Baseball secured its second win of the season on Saturday after dropping an 18-inning marathon to Grand Canyon University the night before.

Women’s gymnastics hosts its final home meet of the year this week against Arizona State. Baseball will play a mid-week game against Michigan before hosting a series with Kansas State. The men’s swimming and diving team will travel to Seattle for Pac-12’s, and men’s wrestling will host Pac-12’s on the Farm next weekend.

Arrillaga Family Dining Commons

• Residential & Dining Enterprises is facing criticism after it proposed changing the schedules of a group of Stanford workers.

• A group is calling for the renaming of Jordan Hall, currently named for Stanford’s founding president David Starr Jordan, a prominent supporter of the eugenics movement.

• The University is increasing drug and alcohol prevention and education programs after the county coroner’s office confirmed that the January death of a sophomore was caused by an accidental overdose of fentanyl.

• John Arrillaga ’60 pledged to donate $55 million to Stanford Medicine over the next 10 years to fund financial aid.

• Tom Steyer MBA ’83, the billionaire former trustee and final Stanford grad left standing in the Democratic primaries, ended his long-shot bid on Saturday.
  •  

A photo Jeong Shin took of the TV while watching the team behind 'Parasite' accept its award for Best Picture at the 92nd Academy Awards

For Arts & Life, Maria Metzger visited five MFA students’ multimedia exhibition, “Layer Cake,” featuring diverse sculpture, installation, digital, drawing and painting artworks (one of which is pictured above). The Grind’s Larissa Bersh deconstructed the paradox of choice on Tinder. In Satire, Patrick Monreal forced a bot to read over 1,000 emails from his Academic Advising Director — and then had it write its own. In Opinions, Adrian Liu argued that Stanford should strive to be a vocational school, in the original sense of a word: a school which encourages students to treat their vocations as “a person’s calling, a person’s life-work.”

• Men’s basketball hosts Colorado at Maples Pavilion today at 3 p.m. PT.

• Eligible students can vote in the California primaries at Tresidder Union through Super Tuesday.

• The Markaz is hosting a traditional Turkish marbling workshop on Wednesday afternoon.

• The Rebele Symposium, featuring reporters from Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan and Florida, will focus on covering battleground states on Wednesday evening.

• The Cantor Arts Center is hosting First Friday, a night of performances, free food and art-making, this Friday evening.

Have an event you’d like featured in next week’s roundup? Let us know at eic ‘at’ stanforddaily.com.

That’s all for this roundup. For more from The Daily, you can visit our website, subscribe to our daily email digest or pick up our print edition — the original daily digest! — at newsstands around campus.
  •  

Are we missing something? Click here to send us a tip.