Back-to-back road losses for women’s gymnastics

Last weekend, No. 25 women’s gymnastics (0-7, 0-6 Pac-12) traveled to Oklahoma and Arizona for back-to-back meets. The Cardinal fell to No. 1 Oklahoma (14-0, 2-0 Big-12) 197.650-196.000 and No. 22 Arizona (1-5, 1-4 Pac-12) 196.150-195.225. Despite both losses, Stanford put up solid performances, with its best road score this season coming against Oklahoma.

Against the Sooners on Friday, the Cardinal took the win on beam with a 49.275, marking the first time Oklahoma has not won beam this season. All-around freshman Chloe Widner came up big for Stanford with a career-high 9.925 on beam, leading her teammates.

Senior Ashley Tai earned a season-best 9.875 in the event, as all-around juniors Kyla Bryant (9.850) and Taylor Lawson (9.850) followed suit.

Despite excelling on beam, the Cardinal were bested by Oklahoma’s outstanding depth in all four events. On vault, the Sooners topped the Cardinal, 49.525-48.925. Oklahoma was led by Olivia Trautman, who scored a perfect 10.000 on vault.

On bars, Stanford scored another 48.925 while Oklahoma earned a 49.475. On floor, the Cardinal earned a 48.875, led by sophomore Morgan Hoang, who tied her career-best of 9.875.

The Cardinal then travelled to Tucson and competed against Arizona on Sunday, where they put up a solid performance to conclude the road weekend.

The meet opened with identical scores on the first rotation, as Arizona scored a 49.050 on vault while Stanford earned the same score on bars. Bryant and junior Grace Garcia led the Cardinal on bars, each earning scores of 9.850.

In the next rotation, though, the long weekend of competing seemed to catch up with the Cardinal. Stanford fell behind with an uncharacteristically weak performance of a 48.175 on vault. Bryant, however, was able to put up an impressive 9.875, claiming the event title.

Tthe Cardinal were able to come back for solid finishes on floor and beam. On floor, Hoang and Bryant led the team. Hoang equaled her 9.875 from Oklahoma’s meet, and Bryant earned an outstanding 9.900, winning her second event of the day. Despite these strong performances, the Wildcats narrowly won, taking the day 49.100-49.075.

In the final rotation of the weekend, Stanford put up a 48.925, again being edged out by Arizona’s 49.950. 

The Cardinal will take on Arizona State on March 2 at 7 p.m. PT in Maples for senior day. Next week marks the last week of the regular season.

Contact Natalie Hilderbrand at nhild ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Contact Natalie Hilderbrand at nhilderbrand 'at' stanforddaily.com.