Weekend Roundup email newsletter: Feb. 9 edition

Our Weekend Roundup is released on Sunday mornings during the school year and features an engaging rundown of the news from the previous week in the form of a briefing. It also includes editors’ picks from our Arts & Life, Grind, Opinions and Satire sections, as well as a list of upcoming events to watch out for in the next week. Subscribe here to receive emails like this.

Stanford Hospital

This week, the number of coronavirus cases worldwide skyrocketed to around 34,000, and over 800 people have died from the virus. Here in the Bay Area, there are two confirmed cases in Santa Clara County, as well as an additional two in nearby San Benito County.

Although no cases have been confirmed at Stanford, the University is on high alert. Stanford is restricting all travel to China, and community members coming back from the country are being asked to self-isolate for 14 days. At Stanford Hospital, signs instruct patients who have traveled from Wuhan, China — the epicenter of the virus — to “please let the security officer know” if they are experiencing potential coronavirus symptoms.

And some community members are thinking beyond Stanford’s campus, too: A student-led team has raised thousands of dollars to send medical supplies to Wuhan and the surrounding areas.

A crowd of people fills the Haas Center during last Tuesday's satellite caucus.

For one group of Stanford Iowans, voting in the 2020 elections has already begun: As watch parties around campus waited in vain for state-level results to roll in, Stanford’s Haas Center hosted one of the first-ever satellite caucuses. The 30 attendees sent two delegates to the county-level caucuses for Sen. Bernie Sanders (D-Vt.), two for Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and one for Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.).

Also, StanfordVotes is stepping up voter mobilization efforts with a new “civic engagement” enrollment hold on Axess that encourages students to register to vote — and walks them through the process — before they can enroll in spring quarter classes.

Senior Emily Arbuthnott prepares to swing at an incoming tennis ball.

No. 1 women’s tennis advanced to the National ITA Indoor semifinals after defeating Georgia Tech 4-1 on Saturday. At the Southwest Cup, No. 2 men’s gymnastics continued its dominance, posting the nation’s best score (420.400).

But it was a tough week for basketball: Neither team won, as the programs combined for an 0-3 record. Women’s basketball dropped its first game at home to UCLA, while the men were blanked on the road at Utah and Colorado.

The Coupa Cafe outside Green Library

Arts & Life’s Marika Tron reviews the Oscar-nominated short films ahead of tonight’s awards ceremony. The Grind’s Lauren Grove puts her phone away at Coupa — and meets a French rapper, a high hare spotter, an outdoor showerer and more. And, for The Daily’s Satire and Opinions sections, Kirsten Mettler skewers 5SURE’s Standards of Excellence rating and argues in support of standardized unit counts across different majors.

• Spring quarter course enrollment opens today.

• Journalists from the 1619 Project — the New York Times Magazine project that examined the legacy of slavery in America — will speak at the McClatchy Symposium on Tuesday.

• Professors will discuss the intersection of criminal justice and narratives of mass incarceration at “Carceral Imagination: A Panel on Arts, Race, and Incarceration” on Wednesday.

• Baseball makes its season debut with a three-game series against Cal State Fullerton on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

• The women’s swimming and diving team will have its final home meet of the year against rival Cal on Saturday.

That’s all for this roundup. For more from The Daily, you can visit our website, subscribe to our daily email digest or pick up our print edition — the original daily digest! — at newsstands around campus.

The Weekend Roundup newsletter is a new initiative from The Daily. If you liked it — or if you have suggestions for how we can do better — let us know at eic ‘at’ stanforddaily.com.
  •  

Are we missing something? Click here to send us a tip.