4 football recruits join Cardinal on National Signing Day

Stanford football head coach David Shaw announced the signing of four more recruits on National Signing Day on Wednesday, bringing the 2020 incoming class’ total to 26 signees. 

The group was headlined by four-star offensive tackle James Pogorelc, a 6’8″ two-sport athlete from Chantilly High School in Fairfax, Virginia. Pogorelc was a unanimous top-15 recruit in Virginia, ranked No. 6 by 247Sports, No. 13 by Rivals and No. 14 by ESPN. 

“We started the recruiting process of James the summer before the 2019 season,” said Stanford offensive line coach Kevin Carberry. “The growth he made from his junior year to his senior year — not just in his play but physically in his body — was significant, which we’re really excited about. We think he’ll be a heck of a player for us.”

Three-star recruits in defensive end Lance Keneley and safety Scotty Edwards also joined the class. 

Keneley, the class’ first pure defensive end signee, stands at 6’5″ and 230 pounds. Keneley also lettered in wrestling and track at Mission Viejo High School in Laguna Hills, California. Keneley racked up 48 tackles and 13 sacks as a senior in 2019 and earned 2019 Second Team All-State honors. 

“Lance is a great pass-rusher,” said Stanford defensive line coach Diron Reynolds. “[He] has the ability to get to the quarterback using his length very well … he does an outstanding job of using his hands, and that allows him to get on and off blocks and get to the quarterback really well.”

Also recruited by Brigham Young University and Utah State, Edwards committed to the Cardinal with plans of taking time off before college for his Latter Day Saints mission.

“Edwards is going to go on a mission and come back two years later more physically mature,” Shaw said. “We’re excited about his prospects when you watch his film — his ability to be a physical defensive back but at the same time, he’s got great ball skills and did a great job in the return game.”

The last of the group to sign Wednesday was two-star defensive tackle Zephron Lester, a 275-pound nose tackle from Christ the King High School in Far Rockaway, New York.

“Zephron is a very talented nose,” Reynolds said. “[He] has the ability to play up and down the line of scrimmage … I think he’s going to be able to anchor the middle for us.” 

The four signees add to a 26-man recruiting class that represents 14 different states and ranks in the top 25 nationally. 

Shaw concluded the conference by thanking the signees as well as Stanford’s scouting and coaching staff.

“On a grand scale, I’m very grateful to our coaches and recruiting staff for the targeted search that we go through … [I’m] grateful to these young men for going through the hoops that we ask them to because Stanford’s worth it,” Shaw said.

Contact Shan Reddy at rsreddy ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Shan Reddy '22 is The Daily's Financial Officer, Business Team Director and a desk editor for the sports section covering Stanford football and tennis. Contact him at sreddy 'at' stanforddaily.com.