Stanford gymnastics takes on in-conference rivals

No. 2 Stanford men’s gymnastics and No. 25 women’s gymnastics both compete Sunday; the men’s team is set to enter the Pac-12 Invite Open against No. 9 Cal, No. 14 Arizona State and No. 17 Washington in Berkeley. Meanwhile, the women’s team will compete against No. 15 Oregon State.

“We’ve been on track, and training is going well,” said men’s team head coach Thom Glielmi.

The men’s team is currently the defending NCAA champion, and remain undefeated so far.

“What keeps us motivated is that we are good enough to repeat, so we want to make sure we’re prepared and execute.”

The Open should be an easy win for the Cardinal. On each of the past three weekends, Stanford has defeated the Cal Golden Bears consecutively.

So far this season, the team has been rotating through different lineups. In last week’s Stanford Open, the Cardinal, led by all-arounders sophomore Ian Gunther and freshman Brandon Briones, scored an outstanding 420.050 points. This week, however, Glielmi plans to change up the lineup.

“There will be several guys that will get an opportunity to compete this weekend that haven’t had an opportunity thus far,” he said.

The women’s meet should be a close one, however. Last week, Oregon State scored 196.400, edging out No. 22 Arizona. The Stanford women’s team scored a season-high 196.250 on Monday in a tight loss against No. 3 UCLA, who scored 197.575.

Look to junior Kyla Bryant, senior Kaylee Cole and freshman Chloe Widner to have big impacts on Sunday. Bryant had an outstanding meet on Monday, competing in all four events and scoring 39.400 points. Widner has been competing all-around this season as well, an especially impressive feat for a freshman.

After this meet, the Stanford women are set to take on Washington at home on Feb. 10, and the men will compete in the ASU Invite on Feb. 8

The women’s meet kicks off Sunday at 2 p.m. PST at Oregon State, and the men’s meet starts two hours later in Berkeley.

Contact Natalie Hilderbrand at nhild ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Contact Natalie Hilderbrand at nhilderbrand 'at' stanforddaily.com.