Wrestling kicks open Pac-12 play with win over Cal Poly

This past weekend, Stanford wrestling (7-1, 1-0 Pac-12) bagged its third consecutive win, including a win in the conference opener, setting the tone for Pac-12 play. 

One standout thus far this season is redshirt freshman Shane Griffith (165 lbs), who is currently undefeated this season and has a career record of 20-0 — which is tied for the eighth-longest in Stanford wrestling history.

On Friday, the Cardinal played its first conference competition against Cal Poly (2-4, 0-1 Pac-12), opening Pac-12 play with a 22-13 win. On Saturday, the Cardinal defeated Life Pacific (1-6) in a 53-0 rout, conceding not a single point. Later that day, Stanford faced California Baptist (3-6, 0-0 WAC), defeating them 22-12. Thus far, Stanford is on a seven-match win streak in dual meets.

The Cardinal won six of its 10 bouts again the Mustangs. Stanford was represented by true freshman Luciano Arroyo (141 lbs), true freshman Jackson DiSario (125 lbs), redshirt freshman Tyler Eischens (157 lbs), Griffith, redshirt junior Jared Hill (174 lbs), true senior Brandon Kier (141 lbs), redshirt sophomore Haydn Maley (285 lbs) and true freshman Seamus O’Malley (197 lbs).

Hill started the day for the Cardinal and defeated Nathan Tausch in an 8-5 decision, earning Stanford its first win of the day and his first win in conference play. However, Cal Poly took the lead in the 184 and 197 pounds duals. O’Malley wrestled No. 12 Tom Lane, leading initially 2-1, but he eventually lost 2-4. Maley made his season debut on Friday against Samuel Aguilar at heavyweight; Maley raised the team’s score with his redemptive 11-2 major decision.

DiSario broke his two-dual losing streak in a dominant 15-0 technical fall against Benny Martinez. Through his relentless effort, the Cardinal regained the lead. Later in the match, Kier won his first dual of the year in a 5-1 decision over Trae Vasquez. 

In a sudden victory, Arroyo was defeated by Cal Poly’s Wyatt Cornelison in a 5-3 decision, closing the gap between the two teams’ scores as Stanford led 15-13. In the end, Stanford retained the lead as redshirt freshman Eischens produced a 7-1 decision and Griffith earned a 16-2 major decision.

On Saturday, the Cardinal faced and defeated Life Pacific and California Baptist.

True freshman Nick Addison (184 lbs) played for the first time this weekend since the Southern Scuffle against Oregon State. Addison turned in a technical fall in his last dual.

The Cardinal continue to hit the road this week, playing their next match on Friday against Utah Valley in Orem, Utah.

Contact Hussam Algallaf at hussamig ‘at’ stanford.edu.