The Daily stands in solidarity with the Black community. Read our editors’ statement.

Tanner Beason named MAC Hermann Trophy Semifinalist

On Tuesday, redshirt senior defender Tanner Beason was named a MAC Hermann Trophy semifinalist for the second consecutive year. He is one of just 15 men nationwide to receive this prestigious honor. 

Presented to the top male and female collegiate soccer players, the trophy has been awarded to a Stanford athlete three out of the last four seasons. The last person on the men’s team to take home the trophy was two-time Stanford All-American Jordan Morris in 2015. Most recently, junior forward Catarina Macario won the 2018 Women’s MAC Hermann Trophy. Macario, along with sophomore defender/midfielder Naomi Girma, are also semifinalists this year.

Of the 15 semifinalists, three will be selected as finalists by a vote from Division I coaches. The women’s finalists will be announced on Friday, while men’s finalists will be named on Dec. 13. The banquet and trophy presentation will take place Jan. 3 in St. Louis.

Beason excelled in his final season, despite missing eight games due to injury. He compiled nine points in just 12 matches, and his total of four goals ranks fourth on the team. His 0.364 shooting percentage is the best mark on the team, and his 0.636 shot-on-goal percentage represents the highest of his career at Stanford. When he is on the field anchoring the potent Cardinal defense, Stanford has allowed just 10 goals all season.

After losing his first game back from injury to close out the Pac-12 season, his return provided a boost for the Cardinal on the eve of the NCAA tournament. In the second round against No. 20 Seattle University with the score knotted at 0-0, Beason broke the deadlock with a goal in the 61st minute, his first since Sept. 13. Seattle later evened the score, but Beason’s kick in the penalty shootout gave the Cardinal a 2-1 advantage, which proved to be the difference.

Last season, Beason finished with eight goals and five assists in a breakout campaign. In the process, he became the first player to be named both the Pac-12 Player of the Year and Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year in the same season. He was also a 2018 MAC Hermann Trophy Semifinalist. 

“I’m forever indebted to what this environment has demanded of me,” Beason said of his Stanford experience. “It’s helped me grow and realize a little bit of that potential.”

The Cardinal will take on Clemson in the NCAA tournament quarterfinal as they pursue a fourth national title. Beason will square off against Clemson freshman midfielder Philip Mayaka, another semifinalist for the Hermann Trophy. The match will take place at Clemson on Friday, Dec. 6, at 3 p.m. PT. 

Contact Jeremy Rubin at jjmrubin ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Jeremy Rubin '23 is one of the sports section's Managing Editors for Vol. 258. A lifelong Yankees, Knicks and Jets fan, this New Yorker spends his free time devouring all forms of sports content or jamming out to music. Contact him at jjmrubin 'at' stanford.edu.