Ty Terry’s double-double takes win streak to six

Closing out its season-opening homestand, Stanford men’s basketball (6-0, 0-0 Pac-12) took down the William and Mary Tribe (4-2, 0-0 CAA) 81-50 on Thursday. For the first time since 2008, the Cardinal remains undefeated after six games. 

Tying his career-high of 21 points — posted earlier this month against Santa Clara — guard Ty Terry led the Cardinal in scoring for the third time this season. The freshman, who has started all six games, has had double-digit offensive performances in each and averages 15.2 points per game.  

“Every team I’ve ever seen [Terry] play on, the team takes his identity,” said head coach Jerod Haase in regards to the freshman’s maturity on the court. “He’s doing a great job. He’s making great passes.” 

Ten of Terry’s points, including two three-pointers, came in the first eight minutes of play against the Tribe. Terry continued to find success from deep and netted three more from behind the arc before the buzzer solidified Stanford’s victory. 

“The first five games or so, I was struggling from the three,” said Terry. “It felt good to get a couple in there tonight.” 

The 6-1 guard also led the team in rebounds, with 10 to his name. Sophomore guard Bryce Wills was close behind with seven of his own. At 6-6, Wills has been taking on a variety of roles for the Cardinal in the new season.

“His versatility is unbelievable,” Haase said of Wills. “On the defensive end, he can do so many things with so many different players and that adds a lot to our team.” 

As a team, Stanford’s defense boasted six blocks, and kept the Tribe’s shooting to 36% for the night. 

Next up for the Cardinal are the first away games of the season, which will take place as part of the Hall of Fame Classic in Kansas City, Missouri next week. Stanford faces Oklahoma at 6 p.m. PST on Monday to tip off the tournament action. 

Contact Savanna Stewart at savnstew ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Savanna Stewart is a managing editor in the Sports section. She is a junior from Twin Bridges, Montana studying Political Science and Communication and enjoys running and playing basketball. Contact her at sstewart 'at' stanforddaily.com.