‘Festival of Lights’ themed Frosh Formal widely attended by Western Tussock Moths

Humor by Om Jahagirdar

Every fall, frosh flock to Arrillaga Alumni Center for Frosh Formal, excited to dance, take pictures and listen to their frosh council reps complain about being sober monitors.

This year, the event was well attended by the frosh class as well as the Western Tussock Moth, likely due to the ‘Festival of Lights’ theme. Those annoying insects that carpet every outdoor space in the spring came in great numbers — and so did the moths.

Formal-goer Drew Gao recalled, “As soon as the doors opened, the frosh and moths swarmed the dance floor.”

In fact, moth engagement on campus has reached an all time high. Following the event, the moth community released an official statement: 

“I had a great time at Frosh Formal! I felt like a really came out of my cocoon. I didn’t want to go at first, but sometimes you just have to wing it! The theme of Frosh Formal on Saturday was Festival of Lights, and then there was another Festival of Lights celebration on Sunday held by the South Asian Society and the Jewish Student Association. Stanford has done a great job of making sure the moth community feels at home.”

Another moth added, “LAMP!”

As the caterpillar population continues to explode every spring, expect to see new moth-centric events such as Full Cocoon on the Quad and Motholeum. 

Editor’s Note: This article is purely satirical and fictitious. All attributions in this article are not genuine and this story should be read in the context of pure entertainment only.

Contact Om Jahagirdar at ojahagir ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Om Jahagirdar is the Humor Managing Editor and All-Time Humblest Writer at The Daily. Contact him omjahagirdar 'at' stanforddaily.com.