Autumn girl playlist

For both returning and new Stanford students, the grind is truly starting to sink in, as we spend hours finetuning the minutiae of p-sets and cramming for midterms.

As you retreat to your dorm (possibly with a precarious state of having power or not), Green Library, OU, the taxing basement of Huang or LAiR, here’s a playlist full of some popular hits, as well as less-known slappers and timeless throwbacks for your academic and self-growth journey.

1. “3 Nights” by Dominic Fike

I would be remiss if I did not include this perennial, indie song that is really perfect as it is “cuffing season”. Even if there isn’t any “cuffing” going on, Fike’s chill voice is the ideal accompaniment for a road-trip (regrettably without all that free, finessed Zipcar money).

2. “Beware” by Big Sean, feat. Lil Wayne and Jhené Aiko

The syncopation of this pairs wonderfully with the pulsating synth-like sounds in this song reflecting upon unfaithfulness in modern relationships. As young adults, it is crucial for us to consider loyalty in all relationships, whether it be professional or social, and songs can encourage us to do so.

3. “Bandit” by Juice WRLD feat. NBA YoungBoy

As with any Juice WRLD song produced by Nick Mira, the infectious beats and eldritch, nursery-rhyme melody in the background comes at the perfect time during spooky season. The instrumentals give off haunted, spine-tingling vibes while Juice and NBA YoungBoy’s verses emanate power.

4. “Dance Money” by Tones and I

This song is of special interest because the artist is the same age as many freshmen and sophomores — 19 years old.  Her unique voice is captivating, throaty and childish all at the same time. When young artists’ songs become popular, they can really serve as a strong example of how achieving your dream career can be possible at any age.

5. “Trampoline” by Shaed with Zayn

The former One Direction crooner’s voice has aged like a fine wine and perfectly complements the dreamy verses and whistling of SHAED. 

6. “Hot” by Young Thug feat. Gunna

Young Thug’s ad libs coupled with the ascending brass hooks and huffed breaths make for an unforgettable instrumental. Gunna and Young Thug deliver an irreverent song on fame and living their best lives.

7. “Diva – Homecoming Live” by Beyoncé feat. O.T. Genasis

Beyoncé’s incredible performance from Coachella 2018 incorporated a mash-up of her song “Diva” and O.T. Genasis’s song “Everybody Mad.” Apart from being empowering for females, the latter portion of the song reflects about not letting getting other people’s toxic thoughts get to you.

8. “EARFQUAKE” by Tyler, The Creator

In honor of the 4.5 magnitude earthquake that transpired on Oct. 14, and either alerted us with a jolt or didn’t even have the slightest impact on our evening, here is a song by Tyler, the Creator who had a couple of concerts in San Francisco just a few days earlier. 

9. “Good As Hell” by Lizzo feat. Ariana Grande

This powerful anthem is by two powerful female artists who are crazy popular nowadays. Their music, to continue the theme of female empowerment, is fun to belt out and resonates with strong themes of independence and embracing femininity. 

10. “Valentino” by 24kGoldn

In this song by emerging artist 24kGoldn, the teenagers proudly exclaim that he doesn’t need a Valentine and only needs Valentino.  Maybe we should keep in mind as Ricky Thompson — a popular and sassy Internet personality — says, “In 2019, I’m not catching any more feelings … The only thing I’m catching in 2019 is flights, jobs [and] bags.” At Stanny, we’re mainly here to catch the bag of our highly esteemed degrees with the glossy Stanford University seal and along with it, some material things like oodles of free t-shirts from career fairs, Hydro Flasks, Birkenstocks, Patagonias, kombucha drinks and açai bowls.

11. “Se Preparó” by Ozuna

This song is in Spanish and sung by Puerto Rican reggaeton singer Ozuna.  The lyrics truly are empowering and describe the story of a young woman who experiences infidelity in her relationship but decides to not let it get to her and continues to dress up and go out to dance with friends. Overall, we can get that we should continue to strive for success despite life’s misfortunes.

Contact Sarayu Pai at smpai918 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Contact Sarayu at smpai918 ‘at’ stanford.edu.