Lacie Hull leads charge over Northern Colorado

After her twin sister posted a career-high performance against USF on Saturday, sophomore guard Lacie Hull followed suit on Thursday, tallying a team-high 19 points for No. 3 women’s basketball (3-0, 0-0 Pac-12). Hull finished the night 8-for-11, in addition to snagging five rebounds, as the Cardinal defeated the Northern Colorado Bears (0-3, 0-0 Big Sky) 90-36 at Maples Pavilion.

The 54-point margin of victory was the team’s second-largest of the season, trumped only by a 65-point spread in the season opener against Eastern Washington.

Twelve of Hull’s points came in the first two quarters of play, and when the buzzer sounded at the half, Hull remained perfect on the stat sheet. 

“I was just relaxed,” Hull said of her success from the field. “I was ready to play today. … I was just taking shots.”

Guards Dijonai Carrington, a junior, and Haley Jones, a freshman, each added eleven points. The battle against the Bears marked Jones’ first career start.

“[Jones] had a real good week of practice,” head coach Tara VanDerveer said. “She’s just going to get better and better. … That’s just the tip of the iceberg of how well she can do and how much she’ll help us.”

Jones also had her hand in three assists throughout the night, including an impressive pass through four UNC defenders to Hull for an easy layup. 

Senior guard Anna Wilson was Stanford’s defensive powerhouse, stealing the ball from the Bears on four occasions in addition to securing four defensive rebounds. It was freshman Fran Belibi, however, that controlled the key with a team-high 13 rebounds.

The next opportunity to witness Stanford’s women’s basketball in action will be Sunday, when the Cardinal takes on Gonzaga. Tip-off is set for 5 p.m. Pacific time at Maples Pavilion.

Contact Savanna Stewart at savnstew ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Savanna Stewart is a managing editor in the Sports section. She is a junior from Twin Bridges, Montana studying Political Science and Communication and enjoys running and playing basketball. Contact her at sstewart 'at' stanforddaily.com.