Mona Hicks appointed senior associate vice provost and dean of students

Mona Hicks, current assistant vice president and dean of students at Saint Louis University, has been appointed senior associate vice provost and dean of students, with her term beginning in Jan. 2020. The role oversees Residential Education, the Graduate Life Office, the Office of Accessible Education and the Office of Community Standards.

Vice Provost for Student Affairs Susie Brubaker-Cole, who appointed Hicks, described her as someone who will bring “fresh insight, knowledge, and expertise to our division and university,” in an Oct. 18 announcement.

Hicks has worked in education for 25 years at institutions including Rice University, Vanderbilt University and the University of North Texas. As a senior-level administrator, Hicks has years of experience with addressing student needs and responding to students in crisis, Brubaker-Cole wrote. At Saint Louis University, her office concentrated on building up student well-being and mental health initiatives. 

According to Brubaker-Cole’s announcement, Hicks currently serves on the board of the Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education (NASPA), as the Equity, Inclusion and Social Justice Division director.

According to Saint Louis University’s University News, Hicks also worked closely with student leaders at Saint Louis University. She worked on initiatives to support students who felt marginalized within the campus community, including the Veteran’s Students Commons and Billiken Bounty Food Pantry. 

“My daily compass blends faith, strategy, a sense of humor and justice to help lead students to discovery about themselves, their destiny, and their global community,” Hicks told a Stanford search committee, according to Brubaker-Cole’s announcement. 

Hicks has earned accolades including the Donald Brennan Humanitarian Award from the Urban League of Metropolitan Saint Louis and Saint Louis University, and was named Woman of the Year by the Saint Louis University Women’s Commission in 2017. 

“It’s such an incredible opportunity with this residential college model to make sure everyone finds their way,” Hicks told The University News about her move to Stanford. 

Contact Sarina Deb at sdeb7 ‘at’ stanford.edu.