Charlie Wehan’s late goal puts Bruins to sleep

The story seemed all too familiar for No. 7 Cardinal men’s soccer (8-1-2, 2-1-1 Pac-12). The game was scoreless, and Stanford looked to be headed to overtime for the fourth-consecutive match, until junior forward Charlie Wehan delivered an 81st minute goal to break the tie and deliver Stanford its first win in four matches.

Wehan received a pass from senior midfielder Jared Gilbey and slotted it home for his first game-winning goal of the season.

The Cardinal broke out of a three-game slump to hand UCLA (5-5-1, 1-3-0 Pac-12) its first loss in three matches 1-0 in Westwood. The Bruins have not beaten the Cardinal in the teams’ past 11 meetings. 

Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Andrew Thomas was tested immediately for a save in the second minute, but he would not need to stop another shot until the final seconds of the match.

The only change to head coach Jeremy Gunn’s starting lineup from the previous game was to re-insert redshirt sophomore Andrew Apprahamian in defense. After starting the first nine matches, Apprahamian was held out of the starting XI against Washington on Sunday in favor of freshman Keegan Tingey.

The move came out of necessity, as Stanford was without its captains, both defenders. Fifth-year center back Tanner Beason missed the second straight match due to injury, and junior outside back Logan Panchot served a one-game suspension following a red card. Sophomore Ryan Ludwick has filled in for Beason at center back alongside freshman Keegan Hughes.

Senior midfielder Derek Waldeck wore the armband for the Cardinal in the absence of the two captains.

Through the first 29 minutes, the teams combined for just three shots. In the next two minutes, however, UCLA would take fours shots in quick succession, which led to the first corner kick of the match. 

Neither team took a shot for the remainder of the half, and the two sides were tied with one shot on goal apiece at the intermission, although the Bruins held a 6-1 advantage in shots.

Stanford was certain it would be awarded a penalty kick for the second straight game when Wehan was tripped from behind in the 58th minute. Although the referee did not stop play, he intervened five minutes later to caution freshman midfielder Cam Cilley for a foul on forward Milan Iloski. 

On the ensuing free kick from 35 yards out, Iloski could not find the target, and Stanford came on the counter attack, which produced its second shot on goal. Freshman Ousseni Bouda raced towards the net, but his shot along the surface was directly at Bruins keeper Justin Garces.

Bouda took a much better look in the 72nd minute, but the curled shot found the right woodwork. The Cardinal would have to wait five more minutes for the game winner, on a play that was catalyzed by Bouda.

Gilbey worked with Bouda on a give-and-go down the left wing to put the senior into open space to deliver the winning assist across the face of goal. Wehan’s tap-in was his third goal of the year.

UCLA threw everything forward in search of an equalizer, and were rewarded with a second shot on goal, but Thomas was there for the save. The shutout was the third of the season for the Olympic-team hopeful.

Sunday’s match at San Diego State (3-6-1, 0-4-0 Pac-12) begins at 12 p.m. PT.

Contact Daniel Martinez-Krams at danielmk ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Daniel Martinez-Krams '22 is a staff writer in the sports section. He is a Biology major from Berkeley, California. Please contact him with tips or feedback at dmartinezkrams ‘at’ stanforddaily.com.