Women’s soccer heads to Corvallis on hot streak

Stanford takes on Oregon State in Pac-12 matchup

Sophomore forward Sophia Smith (above) has scored in 4 of the last 5 games and is a key player to watch in the women's soccer game at Oregon State on Thursday (ERIN CHANG/Stanford Athletics).

Coming off a 4-0 victory against Washington and having won 10 of their first 11 games, the Stanford women’s soccer team (10-1, 3-0 Pac-12) travels to Corvallis, Oregon on Oct. 10 to take on unranked Oregon State (9-1-1, 1-1-1 Pac-12).

Currently on a five-game win streak, the Stanford women’s team is ranked second in the country and is the only remaining team to be undefeated in conference play. In their last game, the team was up 2-0 by the ninth minute after junior forward Carly Malatskey and sophomore forward Sophia Smith scored within less than a minute of each other. It was their seventh and fifth goals of the season, respectively.

A penalty by junior forward Catarina Macario brought the game to 3-0 just before the end of the first half. Coming out of the halftime break, the Cardinal struck again as freshman midfielder Maya Doms netted her second goal of the season. This was the fifth shutout win of the season.

Macario is leading the charge with 11 games started and a nation-pacing 15 goals. She was named Pac-12 offensive player of the week for the third time this season. Smith is another player to look out for, as she has scored in four of the team’s last five games.

Historically, the Stanford women’s soccer team is 18-1 against Oregon State. The Cardinal are riding on a 15 game win streak against the Beavers since 2003.

The Cardinal come into the game averaging 3.91 goals per game while only allowing 0.73 goals per game. The Oregon State women’s team is averaging 2.27 goals per game while allowing just 0.64 goals. The high scoring Cardinal offense versus the strong Beaver defense is definitely a matchup to keep an eye on.

The game begins at 7 p.m. and can be streamed on the Pac-12 website or the Pac-12 app.

Contact Gerzain Gutierrez at gerzain ‘at’ stanford.edu.